Converting Portable Generator to run on Natural Gas - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > General Discussion > Off Topic

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-10-2009, 10:15 AM   #1
Sailfish

Send a message via AIM to FlounderAssassin
Default Converting Portable Generator to run on Natural Gas

I have a 6000w generator that i use for storms and any other power outages and i would like to convert it to run off of natural gas. Any of yall ever done this?? Any idea where to get the parts and how much they cost??? i already have a gas line run very close to where i put the generator for my gas grill and i will just get another hose like the one on the grill that uses the same quick connect to connect to the generator. thanks in advance for any help with this!
FlounderAssassin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-10-2009, 11:35 AM   #2
Grouper

Default RE: Converting Portable Generator to run on Natural Gas

If it's a Briggs and Stratton try this site

http://www.uscarb.com/
Gonnamissher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-10-2009, 12:07 PM   #3
Blue Marlin

Here's a thought. Most of the time the power doesn't stay off that long. Although during Ivan it did for days. Is it worth the money to convert it for a few hours or maybe a day or so once every four or five years. We haven't lost power for more than a couple hours since Ivan. During Ivan I ran a 5 KW with gas from my boat when the Gas stations were closed.
Old 07-10-2009, 12:35 PM   #4
Sailfish

Quote:
Gonnamissher (7/10/2009)If it's a Briggs and Stratton try this site

http://www.uscarb.com
Thanks man...very good information on that site and not bad prices either...lot less then i figured it would be
Old 07-10-2009, 12:40 PM   #5
Sailfish

Quote:
sealark (7/10/2009)Here's a thought. Most of the time the power doesn't stay off that long. Although during Ivan it did for days. Is it worth the money to convert it for a few hours or maybe a day or so once every four or five years. We haven't lost power for more than a couple hours since Ivan. During Ivan I ran a 5 KW with gas from my boat when the Gas stations were closed.
i have thought about that also...not for sure going to do it yet but i am seriously considering it just because i dont want to have to deal with having the gas on hand and dealing with having to make sure it stays fueled 24hrs a day. my boat doesnt have a large tank on it like some of the bigger boats and i dont want to have to store a bunch of 5 gallon cans either. thanks for the point of view though...im open to all opinions!
Old 07-10-2009, 12:48 PM   #6
Non-Senior Member
Grand Slam

Most manufacturers advise against converting an engine that runs on gas to any other fuel such as propane or natural gas. Both natural gas and propane are more volitile and burn at hotter temps vs. gasoline. That's not saying that you can not convert them. But the life of the engine may be reduced in the process.

I store about 40 gallons of gas each June with stabilizer added. This is enough to run my generator for enough time till the power is turned on most of the time after a storm (5-7 days depending on usage). If I don't use it for a season, I burn it in my vehicles at the end of the hurricane season and get more before the next season. I never have to run to the gas station for gas etc... You can store gas in a 55 gallon drum and buy a cheap hand pump to get the gas out. No need for all those 5 gallon containers.
Telum Pisces is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-10-2009, 01:06 PM   #7
Grand Slam

Send a message via AIM to Tuna Man Send a message via MSN to Tuna Man Send a message via Yahoo to Tuna Man

Quote:
Telum Piscis (7/10/2009)Most manufacturers advise against converting an engine that runs on gas to any other fuel such as propane or natural gas. Both natural gas and propane are more volitile and burn at hotter temps vs. gasoline. That's not saying that you can not convert them. But the life of the engine may be reduced in the process.

I store about 40 gallons of gas each June with stabilizer added. This is enough to run my generator for enough time till the power is turned on most of the time after a storm (5-7 days depending on usage). If I don't use it for a season, I burn it in my vehicles at the end of the hurricane season and get more before the next season. I never have to run to the gas station for gas etc... You can store gas in a 55 gallon drum and buy a cheap hand pump to get the gas out. No need for all those 5 gallon containers.
Instead of a hand pump I use a 12V fuel pump to transfer gas from one container to another. Probably cheaper and easier then a hand pump.
Tuna Man is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-10-2009, 02:00 PM   #8
Blue Marlin

One more thought, A 6 KW isn't big enough to run a central AC unit. What we did for the 3 weeks during Ivan was run most of the day when it was hot and secure everything in the night when cooler and start again in the morning. I had two freezers and the refrig and didn't loose a thing.
Old 07-10-2009, 02:17 PM   #9
Sailfish

I have a window unit that i put in my bedroom...and unless its in the low 70s or cooler i will be running the generator all night
Old 07-10-2009, 04:12 PM   #10
Grand Slam

Send a message via AIM to Tuna Man Send a message via MSN to Tuna Man Send a message via Yahoo to Tuna Man

Quote:
Telum Piscis (7/10/2009)Most manufacturers advise against converting an engine that runs on gas to any other fuel such as propane or natural gas. Both natural gas and propane are more volitile and burn at hotter temps vs. gasoline. That's not saying that you can not convert them. But the life of the engine may be reduced in the process.
Why do they tell you that when the difference is only a few degrees? Gas has a flash temp of 359.1 and LPG is at 361.4:banghead:banghead
Tuna Man is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.