Anyone know anything about Spanish reproduction black powder pistols? - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > General Discussion > Off Topic

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-04-2012, 09:52 AM   #1
Ruby Red Lip

Default Anyone know anything about Spanish reproduction black powder pistols?

My father picked these up while deployed to Spain back in 1977. They were made by "Banco de Pruebas de Armas de Fuego" in Eibar, Spain according to the certificates I have for both (see pic). Black powder .45 pistols that have never been fired. I can't find anything via Google concerning value...I'm wondering if they are worth $5 or $500. Anybody here know anything about these kinds of pistols?

Just ASK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-04-2012, 05:29 PM   #2
Cigar Minnow

Thumbs down Spanish repro. black powder pistols

Spanish repros are low end .Some of the better ones are made in Italy.
Pistols usually go for $75-$125 ea.in new condition.
Usually poorly finished.
AQUAINFL38 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-04-2012, 06:31 PM   #3
Grand Slam

Are you sure the pistols were manufactured by Banco de Prueba de Armas de Fuego? Banco de Prueba means "proof house". From what I can see from the certificate that you posted is that the pistols were subjected to a pressure of 700 kg/cm2 (9,956 p.s.i.) without bursting. The barrels were then stamped with the proof marking indicated in the certificate. This guarantees that the pistol barrel will not burst when subjected to a conventional load as the proof pressure far exceeds the pressure generated by the recommended load.

Last edited by Orion45; 08-04-2012 at 06:38 PM. Reason: Added p.s.i. equivalent
Orion45 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-04-2012, 07:00 PM   #4
Sailfish

I possess an Italian black powder pistol and from the looks of yours, although a nice brace of pistols, they do not look very high grade. The wood does not look like walnut and the fittings look very plain. I think these would be entry level re-enactor pistols for period maritime or pirate period or even Napoleonic wars era. They just don't have an ornate look to them. They are obviously shooters and would be fun to load and shoot. You can buy the cap, powder, ball and wading from any gun store selling regular black powder items and guns. After shooting, you clean them out either with boiling water or hydrogen peroxide. The peroxide will boil out the powder, so careful. Do not worry about getting the gun wet during cleaning, when done cleaning the bore and drying it out with wiper rags, you will wipe down the whole gun then use some sort of non rusting lite oil. You will need to remove the nipple and wire/pic clean it out from time to time also. These are great fun to shoot. Loud, smoky and quite powerfully deadly on a target at 10 to 20 yards.

Last edited by Bonsaifishrman; 08-04-2012 at 07:15 PM.
Bonsaifishrman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-04-2012, 11:20 PM   #5
Ruby Red Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by AQUAINFL38 View Post
Spanish repros are low end .Some of the better ones are made in Italy.
Pistols usually go for $75-$125 ea.in new condition.
Usually poorly finished.
That's what I figured, as they don't look particularly spectacular or ornate. Thanks for the info!
Old 08-04-2012, 11:21 PM   #6
Ruby Red Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion45 View Post
Are you sure the pistols were manufactured by Banco de Prueba de Armas de Fuego? Banco de Prueba means "proof house". From what I can see from the certificate that you posted is that the pistols were subjected to a pressure of 700 kg/cm2 (9,956 p.s.i.) without bursting. The barrels were then stamped with the proof marking indicated in the certificate. This guarantees that the pistol barrel will not burst when subjected to a conventional load as the proof pressure far exceeds the pressure generated by the recommended load.
I see what you mean...they were manufactured somewhere else and then proofed. Makes sense. BTW - my father was a P-2/P-3 pilot as well...
Old 08-04-2012, 11:22 PM   #7
Ruby Red Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonsaifishrman View Post
I possess an Italian black powder pistol and from the looks of yours, although a nice brace of pistols, they do not look very high grade. The wood does not look like walnut and the fittings look very plain. I think these would be entry level re-enactor pistols for period maritime or pirate period or even Napoleonic wars era. They just don't have an ornate look to them. They are obviously shooters and would be fun to load and shoot. You can buy the cap, powder, ball and wading from any gun store selling regular black powder items and guns. After shooting, you clean them out either with boiling water or hydrogen peroxide. The peroxide will boil out the powder, so careful. Do not worry about getting the gun wet during cleaning, when done cleaning the bore and drying it out with wiper rags, you will wipe down the whole gun then use some sort of non rusting lite oil. You will need to remove the nipple and wire/pic clean it out from time to time also. These are great fun to shoot. Loud, smoky and quite powerfully deadly on a target at 10 to 20 yards.
Might have to get some supplies and see what kind of kick they posess. Thanks for the help!
Old 08-05-2012, 05:54 AM   #8
Grand Slam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just ASK View Post
I see what you mean...they were manufactured somewhere else and then proofed. Makes sense. BTW - my father was a P-2/P-3 pilot as well...
Are there any other markings which would indicate who made these pistols? There is a "marca the fabrica" (factory marking) on the certificate that reads 2B or 28. That might give you an idea of where the pistols were produced.

BTW, I was a Naval Flight Officer (NFO) since I did not have 20/20 vision when I joined the Navy. P-2's were gone by the time I joined...P-3A's were the oldest planes at the time. My first squadron had already transitioned to the newer P-3C's when I got there.

Last edited by Orion45; 08-05-2012 at 06:04 AM.
Orion45 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.