Anybody use a HD TV antenna? - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > General Discussion > Off Topic

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-02-2008, 07:41 PM   #1
Sailfish

Default Anybody use a HD TV antenna?

I am thinking about getting one, anybody ever used one? Are they worth a darn in this area? Any recomendations on a good one?

Thanks

Sky
Hot Reels is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2008, 07:48 PM   #2
Neptune calls me "Daddy"
Grand Slam

Default RE: Anybody use a HD TV antenna?

Sky,

I've used one. I just went to Radio Shack and purchased theirs. It works great but you have to aim it in the right direction. Sometimes even change it a bit for a different channel

Here's a list of local broadcasts... not sure how current it is though. Of course you'll have to change the antenna input each time you want to watch normal cable. I just did a google search.

http://www.hdtvmagazine.com/programm...cola+(Ft+Walt)

Jim
jim t is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2008, 08:41 PM   #3
Non-Senior Member
Grand Slam

Sky,

Go here and input your address. It will tell you what type of antenna you will need.

http://www.antennaweb.org/aw/welcome.aspx

I use a standard set of rabbit ears on my entertainment center andout here in Garcon Point and get all my local channels in HD except Fox. An attic antenna will get every station in the area.

Ever since this HD stuff became popular and the local broadcasters started making it available over the air, the new term HD antenna came about. Truth be known, it's nothing different than what our parents and grandparents used to get their TV signals. Any old rabbit ears will receive the signal. It does not have to be a digital/HD antenna. The only difference is that, the picture does not get snowy. You either get the signal or you don't.
Telum Pisces is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2008, 10:14 AM   #4
Trigger

Knot a Yacht is right. A standard UHF or even a VHF/UHF combo antenna will work and depending on your location and where you want to mount it will determine what size antenna you need. I'll tell you, call Jack at Pace electronics and let him help you out. I bought a winegard VHF/UHF boon antenna from him and put it in my attic and I can pick up all our locals no problem. I did also use a preamp but the whole deal was less than 100 bucks.

The reason for using a VHF/UHF combo instead of just a UHF is becasue FOX in Mobile broadcasts on VHF (ch. 9-- I think) So if you want FOX, you will need the VHF/UHF combo.
BudYsr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2008, 10:33 AM   #5
Trigger

I just have a cheap set of bunny ears and I get channels 3, 5, 10, 12, 15, 23, & 44 in HD. Channels 5 & 15 have dedicated weather channels that I didn't used to get until I hooked up a newer tv that is HD. Also, 23 has two different channels that both appear to be in HD.
Chasin' Tales is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2008, 10:42 AM   #6
Mingo

i live in monroeville about 68 miles from mobile the way a bird flys i just bought an hd tv and my dishnetwork doesnt offer locals in hd tv.i do not have an ant outside but have seen the ones like in bestbuy will it work at such a distance. i really want to enjoy hd tv but dont know if i can pick it up. any info or websites will be helpful
14offshore is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2008, 10:43 AM   #7
Sailfish

Our local Pace Electronics store closed unfortunately, as we used to buy some equipment from them from time totime. We sell a local antenna that works well in this area for $50. It is a Channel Master 5646.
Ocean Man is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2008, 10:52 AM   #8
Non-Senior Member
Grand Slam

Quote:
14offshore (1/3/2008)i live in monroeville about 68 miles from mobile the way a bird flys i just bought an hd tv and my dishnetwork doesnt offer locals in hd tv.i do not have an ant outside but have seen the ones like in bestbuy will it work at such a distance. i really want to enjoy hd tv but dont know if i can pick it up. any info or websites will be helpful
Do you have dishnetwork's HD service with the HD reciever? Or does your TV have an internal HD tuner??? If you have either, you can hook up an antenna to recieve the digital/HD stations over the air.

Go to this website and input your address. It will tell you the direction and distance from your house of the broadcasting locations. It will give you the type of antenna needed to get each station. Just click on the station once it pulls the report.

http://antennaweb.org/aw/welcome.aspx
Telum Pisces is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2008, 11:27 AM   #9
White Marlin

Hey HotReels,

I live around the corner from you on Bridge Creek Dr.

I installed one of these http://www.solidsignal.com/prod_disp...p?PROD=SS-2000on the west peak of the house last month. The page says uhf only but it does both vhf and uhf.

It is aimed at the greyhound track as recommended by http://www.checkhd.com/aw/welcome.aspx

I let the tv go thru the autotune to find channels and got around 30 stations.

But a lot are duplicates i.e. std. broadcast and hd broadcast. And some are church and some are fluff. So we ended up with about 12 channels we kept.
johnsonbeachbum is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.