2001 Ford F-150 4.2 V6 Idle Problem - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > General Discussion > Off Topic

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-16-2009, 12:37 PM   #1
CCC
Blue Marlin

Default 2001 Ford F-150 4.2 V6 Idle Problem

My truck has 170,000 and runs like a top when going down the road with cruise control engaged, but at stop lights some times the idle will start surging up and down and the truck will start bucking forward to the point I will have to throw it in neutral to keep from ramming the guy in front of me, it also does the same when backing out of my drive way. I am being told it is the idle air control valve on top of the throttle body, but no testing was done, just people saying that might be what it is. Does this sound right ?
CCC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2009, 12:40 PM   #2
Blue Marlin

Default RE: 2001 Ford F-150 4.2 V6 Idle Problem

There is a recall or whatever the correct word is... on the F-150 concerning the cruise control.

You can call me and I will read you what it says off the paper incase you didn't get one. It says it can cause a fire.

457-8783
Deeplines is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2009, 12:45 PM   #3
Sailfish

IAC valve is a possibility, but wouldn't be my first guess. Usually, when I've had IAC valve problem on Fords, the engine just stalls and dies because the valve is not opening properly to keep the engine running. But, Don't rule it out just yet.

The IAC valve is usually pretty easy to take off because of it's location on the side of the throttle body. You can pull it off and spray it down with carb cleaner then put it back on. If that gets rid of the problem, go buy a new one and replace it because it will not take long for the problem to come back.

If the IAC valve is not the culpret, my second guess would be the EGR controller or the EGR valve... but those usually set a code and cause the Check Engine light to come on.
FelixH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2009, 12:52 PM   #4
Non-Senior Member
Grand Slam

Vacuum leak somewhere. At higher RPM's a small vacuum leak does not effect the engine. But at idle, it will cause the surging that you describe. It also could be the idle air control valve. Many times the IAC valve will get a carbon build up in them and will not allow the plunger to operate properly. Many times you can take it off and simply clean it real well with some carb cleaner and a cue tip or such. If this helps, but does not solve the problem, then the IAC valve needs to be replaced.

Here is a description of cleaning one off of an Explorer. It should be similar on your motor.

http://www.explorer4x4.com/iac.htm

Also check your MAF sensor.

Vacuum Leak, IAC valve, MAF sensor are the three most common cause of surging idle most of the time. At least that was the case when I had my Ford Explorer.
Telum Pisces is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2009, 01:34 PM   #5
White Marlin

could be a throttle position sensor as well,,,,

Ms Penny Fishing Team

Member NRA 172499461

Barber Marina

1-251-987-2628 (BOAT)

www.barbermarina.com

Sequoiha@centurylink.net
Sequoiha is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2009, 01:41 PM   #6
Snapper

The OLE tow vehicle.. I've got a Ford f-150 2000 5.4 ltr. The idle surges on it from time to time. The only time mine acts up is when the vehicle is in park. I have 113,000 mls.
Sea Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2009, 01:36 PM   #7
CCC
Blue Marlin

Ok so where do I find the EGR valve and what does it look like ? I think I see it, does it have a vaccume line going into the top of it and about a 1/2 inch tube coming from the exhaust manifold going into the side ?
Old 01-17-2009, 02:19 PM   #8
Grouper

Try tapping on the iac motor. Idle air control motor. With the engine running. If the idle changes with the tapping, replace it. Also dissconect the egr valve vacume hose to see if the idle changes. tapp on the egr valve also, to see if idle changes. As earlier stated, it could be a vacume leak as well. There are some pcv vacume hoses that get oil soaked & soften up. You should hear air hissing if its a vacume leak. The egr valve should be on the drivers side of engine. It may be next to the powerstering resovior.
King Crab is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2009, 04:49 PM   #9
CCC
Blue Marlin

Well after spending $80.00 on Idle Air Control valve it didn't help at all, so went to parts store and they pulled code which said EGR valve, only problem is there is a EGR module, Sensor and then the EGR itself, code does not specify which one, so parts guy says it is usually the sensor, $30.00, buy the sensor and NOPE still doesn't solve problem, so I take the damn thing home and pull the EGR valve and BLAST it with carb cleaner and it is 95% better now, so that lets me know it is the valve itself. So another $110.00 and I should have it solved.

What the hell else ?????? Lose my job this week, truck breaks down and I just freaking throw money at it !!!!!!!! Going to make me a STIFF Turkey and Seven !

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.