Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

Why I post

9K views 71 replies 36 participants last post by  nextstep 
#1 ·
A while back I asked one of the local experts also one of my main critics, why he didn't post fishing 101 type of fishing aids for us on the forum here. I don't know him personally and he may be a great guy but his answer was surprising, this is his answer.

"I don't mind sharing a little bit here and there. But with enough people paying good money for my expertise these days between magazines and big boat owners, I'm a bit reluctant, especially with tournament season coming up".

So I started posts with the intent of stimulating something useful here on the forum. Last year we had a post that had a lot of participation by forum members and it resulted in some successful fishing trips this year. That's the way it's supposed to be with the forum being a center for learning how to fish as well as increasing our knowledge and skill of the sport.

The most common answer given to people asking for help catching fish on the forum is "get out there and fish and you will find spots". That is true but they just want a little help getting there, a general idea where to go, what to use and how to do it. We just want to learn to be better anglers that's all. Reading the successful posts most will only mention the location or general area if it's beyond the range of the average recreational angler and most times never mention what the fish were taken on. Sure we enjoy reading about it but would really like to know where it was close as possible and how it was done, so we can give it a shot too.​

I don't claim to be an expert, I don't claim to be a fish slayer, I don't claim to be a tournament winner, I don't say this is the only way to rig it to catch fish, I don't say this produced a tournament winner or trophy, rather almost all of what I post is basically technical in nature.

So my question to the PFF fishing mafia and critique committee is why don't you start sharing the vast hoards of fishing knowledge and experience with the 10K plus member audience here instead just showing us how good you are in your posts. We know you can get them along side and put them in the box as well. Why don't you take the next step from being great anglers sitting on a treasure chest to master anglers opening up that chest and bringing along this and the next generation of anglers?

Tight lines all.

See less See more
#3 ·
Hmmmm
I guess I fall into the category of needing help and advice rather than sharing. That being said when I do have success - I can't seem to keep my mouth shut about it.... Heck I even post when I don't catch anything!! Each member here is different and I enjoy seeing others success even if they don't share where or how game was taken

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

#4 ·
I had this same attitude, "Hey guys help a brother out, throw me a bone" my fishing has been hit and miss for YEARS, I have one good outing and several "Cant catch crap" outings. This past weekend I went out with a friend and we found to holes that were productive and now PRIVATE !!!!!! Would not give the numbers to my mother !!!!!!!! That is why folks hold these numbers so close to their chest is it took YEARS to find them. Good luck to you and hope your search is a shorter one than mine was.

#5 ·
I think a lot of the reason ppl (including myself) are reluctant to share tips on rigging, methods, areas, etc. is that fishing is a competitive sport. What I mean is that if I'm good at catching a certain species of fish and I come here and share my methods and/or areas of success I no longer have an advantage when it comes to catching the species in question. And face it, the more of a species everyone else catches; the fewer I catch. Also, as people become better at catching a certain species the more often they will pursue that species which results in more fishing pressure on that species. If I enjoy pursuing that same species, that is bad for me. Call it selfish, call it greedy, whatever, but that's the way it is. Since the beginning of time, some people have been better fisherman than others. And also since the beginning of time, the good fisherman have been secretive with their methods and spots.

#6 ·
Think a lot of people give a lot of info. but you have to understand a few things. Some of them share their success and that lets you know that the 'bite is on'. It took lots of them a lot of years, blood, sweat and tears plus a considerable amount of Dinero to learn what they know.

For most of the people on here, fishing is a recreation. For others, it is what puts food on the table for their families and everybody in the tournament game is looking for the next best method or that thing that is going to prevent a failure and bring about success. It's not a game for them. It's REAL.

Take what they give you and be happy that they gave you anything or book these guys and pay them for what they have already paid to learn.

#7 ·

Attachments

#8 · (Edited)
Personally, I don't care. I have helped some, been plagiarized by some and plain screwed by others. Kinda don't care much no more. I usually offer to show some rigging and help learn some in the winter. May still do it. Other than that I watch some who actually try to help, others who claim great knowledge because they can bullshit the best. But, alot do hold the knowledge close to vest because they figure they earned it through years of experience. I agree on some of that. I have made the mistake of giving a few gps numbers out. All I asked was they tell me what was there. When I ask, nothing. Even had a guy on the same boat thank me for the numbers for the fish caught. No more. I learn new stuff every year. Keeps it interesting.

#9 · (Edited)
I started posting again cause frankly I like talking fishing. Agreed with what was already said , there is a bunch of time , effort , and money that goes into this sport and is hard to just give it away after failure after failure to just crack the code and be successful . I will comment and input things that work for me from time to time but won't post my gps numbers on here. I don't claim to be an expert but feel I can contribute some time.

#10 ·
I don't get a lot of chances to go offshore, but I have no issues telling people what line I use, rigs, Bait, weight, drop distance, etc. One thing I may or may not say is my location. If i go to a spot and catch a large shark and sharkers get wind of it there will be 20 baits ran out next day. But, I let people know whatever they want to know about rigging and technigues.

#11 ·
I don't post as much as I used to but still do a good bit. I also use to post more elaborate posts and used to go very in depth with people via PM.

Before I say any more, let me answer your last question. Why should anyone post info if they don't want to? If they want to critique something you're doing, its a public forum and they may do so. That doesn't mean they should have to spill their brain to everyone else. If that's your cup of tea, then type away and take the criticism in whatever way you want.

I stopped posting as much because of many things. Time to post being a huge reason. Having to post pics or nobody seemed to care, which is ridiculous considering my report is to help.

Another thing that rubbed me wrong was many PMs I sent folks on different rigging, locations, etc that resulted in a great trip DIRECTLY because of what I told them. A report was posted, pics, info and........ZERO thanks for my help. I don't expect anything in return for help, I talk about fishing all day in our shop. Its what I love and feel its what I live for, but if something I did helped you out and considering what I do for a living, its just common sense to me that you give some credit where its due.

I dunno. Theres more people on the water every year and I feel that well educated fishermen make better decisions on the water for themselves and for the resource, but you still have to hold some things back

#25 ·
I don't post as much as I used to but still do a good bit. I also use to post more elaborate posts and used to go very in depth with people via PM.
"

I stopped posting as much because of many things. Time to post being a huge reason. Having to post pics or nobody seemed to care, which is ridiculous considering my report is to help.

Another thing that rubbed me wrong was many PMs I sent folks on different rigging, locations, etc that resulted in a great trip DIRECTLY because of what I told them. A report was posted, pics, info and........ZERO thanks for my help. I don't expect anything in return for help, I talk about fishing all day in our shop. Its what I love and feel its what I live for, but if something I did helped you out and considering what I do for a living, its just common sense to me that you give some credit where its due."
They may not have told you directly but I have had several people tell me how much help you provided and how much knowledge you have. Just some feedback ed

#12 · (Edited)
Honestly for me it is If someone really needs help and honestly tries to better himself it shows in their questions compared to please give me some good numbers to catch ____ or how do you do this. Someone who wants to learn will consistintly be asking questions that they have shown that they have been trying on their own and cant get over a hump. I have fished in this area since Destin had 4 stop lights and learned more on my own than someone helping me. That has also added to my enjoyment of it. I have had many people help me along the way but only after that they saw that I was trying on my own and saw a way to assist me. I see to many people on here that seem like they want a handout to get to where i am without working for it. My opinion is that to get good at something you learn at it from the bottom up and not from the information that someone gave you. That way you will know how to catch what you want when the fishing gets tough. Anyone can catch fish when the bite is on but when it is slow and you can still produce that is what always tells me who has spent their time out there and earned it.

Also when I have shared good info I rarely get any type of gratitude back. I have sent PM's to people and it is like they never even recieved the info. they take it and never even say thanks. That really rubs me wrong and I hate to say it but spoils it for so many others that I want to give helpful info to but 9 times out of 10 once i give them the goods i never hear from them again. That makes me not want to help others.

#15 ·
after some reflection, ive thought more of this fishing "thing." I like catching fish, the reeling in, some strategy, which way will he go, do I have enough line , toothy critter, will he tail whip me . did I use the right bait. most of these questions really don't matter as Ive decided that I like looking at blue water. If I was hungry I know where to get food, I can afford to buy it. I just like looking at the water and conversations with other people that are there for the same reason.

#16 ·
I look at it like this. Fishing knowledge and spots are earned through time, hard work, and money spent on the water. That is a valuable commodity.

If someone came on here and asked for someone's bank account number and pin, but promised to only take a little but of money from the account each month, they would be blasted and run off of this forum. And rightly so, because they earned it and it is theirs.

Same with fishing. Someone that is good at it has put in the time, money and effort. Why should you expect them to hand their numbers anymore than you would hand out your bank account numbers?

The thing that is ironic is that the vast, vast majority of the experienced fishermen on here have helped more people catch more fish than any of the people on here that are bitching about them not sharing more information ever have or ever will.

#17 ·
Why I post....

I don't feel that I've ever revealed any BIG SECRET about any fishing technique or location. Most of what I have shared here is probably considered by most hard core anglers common knowledge. I also feel there is a certain instinct, luck, or karma about fishing too- just because you have the textbook knowledge on tackle, tactics, and tides doesn't always mean you are going to catch fish every trip. JMHO
Anyway, I'm no expert- I've been to Sams to see Chris on many occasions for advice (especially when we started bluewater fishing in the keys). My idea of fishing as a kid was piloting my uncles shrimp boat- pulling a net instead of throwing lure. Personally, I think I'm better cookin' them than catchin' em.
I would also like to mention, often when we are fishing (especially inshore), we do practice catch and release (keeping one or two, and letting the rest go), and will be sure to include that in our videos coming up. I really hope others practice releasing some to let someone else fight that fish another day. Its the thrill of the hunt, the excitement of the fight, and that trophy picture that remains in my memory longer than that bite of fish in my stomach.
So, if my meager advice helps someone get a little closer to that mesa of fishing fung-shui and at least one afternoon of non-stop enjoyment and satisfaction on the water- then praise God. :thumbup: I hope it is an afternoon they'll never forget! I only hope they'll pass some of what they learn on to someone else (friend, family...).

Now, anyone looking for my real fishing secrets will just have to come go fishing with me to figure those out.

By the way- Thanks Chris. You've always been a big help when we've needed it-
Mike

#18 ·
I gave up on helping with LBSF. I've post just about everything but the grain of sand to stand on at the beach and the same questions pop up. What line? what hook? I want to use this hook but you said to use this one, what wire? why wire? Do I really need mono? How do i set the hook? Hey where did you catch that?

Over and over and over. Lol.

#21 ·
I try to help if it is a member that has been here at least long enough to make a post with a report in it. I get kind of tired of the new member first post "hey guys, please tell me when , where and how to catch this particular fish tomorrow." Usually those are the members that we never see again unless the have something to sell. I would rather save my advice for a contributing member either in a post or PM. Also, every member should know by now that all you have to do is show up with a fly rod and I will make room on the boat for another.

#22 ·
I really believe most fishermen are like me -- not experts. I fish for fun. I will never enter a tournament, charge to take anyone fishing or make a living doing it. I read advice on this forum so I can have more fun. I don't expect anyone's secret spot, magic lure or most productive technique to be posted up for all to share. I do appreciate general info posts. From reading this forum I learned how to rake sand fleas and catch pompano, some good general knowledge about redfish and speck fishing, rod and reel advice etc. I added that with a couple of guided trips and now I feel comfortable fishing the ICW. I have never taken my boat out further that the Mass but still like reading blue water reports and how to catch wahoo, mahi and cobia. It's like reading 'Field and Stream' to me. Likewise I enjoyed Kim's post on the lures he had rigged up and honestly didn't understand why people took an issue with it. Guess I missed something. I hope to meet other guys on this forum like me who are just 'average fishermen' who like to have a good time on the water and we can go out together and learn together.

#38 ·
This is exactly how I feel. I live 1.5 to 2 hours from salt water, so I don't get the chance to "put in the time" like many want you to do. It would take me 10 years to put in as much time as it took most who live by the salt only one year. Me and my son have enjoyed the few times we have been able to fish the salt and are trying to learn all we can to make it more enjoyable. If you salt water fish 5 or 6 time a year and all that time is spent learning, searching, and continuously striking out, then what's the point in going. I enjoy being out on the water and with friends on the boat, but I also would enjoy catching a fish or two along the way. I don't mind striking out occasionally (I probably do that more than anyone), but I want to shorten the learning curve as much as possible and certainly don't expect anyone's secret spot(s). I joined this forum because I wanted to enrich my saltwater knowledge and enjoy seeing others success and love for the sport. I do ask a lot of questions and hopefully some day I can share my knowledge with people like me. But honestly, If I couldn't learn and become a better fisherman by reading this forum and some of the good reports and knowledge shared, I wouldn't be a member. If I just wanted to see people catching fish all the time, I would go to the local tackle shop and look at the brag board and get the same message. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy seeing the reports of people catching fish, but I also enjoy reading and learning how to get those fishing results also. Again, not asking for exact fishing spots, just general knowledge.

#23 ·
Thanks!

You folks don't know me, I'm just some silly Yankee stuck in Illinois, a million miles from saltwater.

I just wanted to thank everyone that does share tips, reports, photos, whatever. Those of us that love fishing, also love reading about fishing. Even if I only get to fish in the salt about once every 5 years, I still enjoy reading your posts.

I'll go back to lurking now, just wanted thank you all for this fine forum. Tight Lines to you all!

Phil

#24 · (Edited)
Ok let me chime in.
Being born and raised in Fl. I consider myself a descent fisherman.
Far from an expert. Never going to charge to take someone fishing.
Why I post, I enjoy linking with like minded people.
Why I share info, because it is easy to shine a little light.
My best advise, slow down enjoy. Everyday every minute. On the water or not.
Tight lines

Phil
Welcome aboard

#26 ·
I moved here about a year ago from north ga and had never fished anywhere but rivers and lakes.Bay fishing isn't the same at all.If not for some pretty specific help from some on here I probably wouldn't have caught a trout or redfish yet.I know I ask many more questions than I answer.

#28 ·
I used to post a lot more reports about where and how to catch what. I also noticed a direct correlation to how many people I saw fishing my favorite spots...

These days, I generally keep it to myself until I see a well spoken tourist FISHERMAN on here wanting to have a good vacation. About the time I see the guides start to bombard them with "Go with me! Go with me", I message them and offer my guidance for free. I'll give the right kind of tourist my MOST secret spots and have no problem at all with it...they won't be back next week lol.

#40 ·
You are paying for knot tying, rigging and numbers a few miles off the beach. I wouldnt but more power to them for making a few extra bucks to take care of their families/fun money.

As far as the rest of it, I help folks that want to learn something. The "give me some numbers" and "I need to know where you fish crowd" just want a hand out. Not from me ya rascals.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.