Tides in the Gulf of Mexico - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > General Discussion > General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-09-2008, 10:49 AM   #1
Cigar Minnow

Default Tides in the Gulf of Mexico

<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt">Does anyone have a good resource on explaining the tides for the <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comffice:smarttags" /><st1lace>Gulf of Mexico</st1lace>? I am familiar with how the phases of the moon control neap and spring tides for the oceans. The problem is that when you compare those to the tide tables in <st1:City><st1lace>Pensacola</st1lace></st1:City>, they don't match up. It looks like the dynamics of the <st1lace>Gulf of Mexico</st1lace> is more complicated. <P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" /><o></o><P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt">It is simple enough to just lookup the tide table but that doesn?t satisfy my curiosity. <P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt">
Venturer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-09-2008, 11:02 AM   #2
Grand Slam

Send a message via AIM to Tuna Man Send a message via MSN to Tuna Man Send a message via Yahoo to Tuna Man
Default RE: Tides in the Gulf of Mexico

Is it the tides you want or do you really want a explanation as to the currents? The Gulf is a funny body of water and the currents run kind of screwy. Basically the currents run in a CW rotation from between Cuba/Mexico up the eastern coast of Mexico, East to North Florida, down the West coast of Florida, CW to between Keys/Cuba, up through the Gulfstream with many changing areas of sub CW rotations off of the Mexican coast line and SW texas.
Tuna Man is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2008, 11:27 AM   #3
Cigar Minnow

<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt">I appreciate the explanations and I have also been curious about the currents. My thoughts on the tides are that fish should feed during the greatest amount of water movement which should peak twice monthly during spring tides (full and new moon). The problem is that our tides don?t necessarily seem to follow this principle and often have peak fluctuations during moons which is opposite of the text I have read. <P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" /><o></o><P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt">I also understand that the fish feed heavily in the morning after a new moon. <P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><o></o><P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt">Along with Snapper season opening in June, we have a new moon on June 3<SUP>rd</SUP> which, this time, does coincide with maximum tide fluctuations meaning the most water movement. <P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><o></o><P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt">Combining a long closed season, with large tide fluctuations and a new moon, this theory says you won?t even need bait that morning; just slow down a bit and the fish will jump in the boat.<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><o></o><P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt">Of course all of this is academic because other more important factors determine when I fish; wife, job, weather, money (not necessarily in that order).<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><o></o><P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt">
Old 03-09-2008, 12:21 PM   #4
Sailfish

By my calculations, with thenew moon, tide fluctuations, and a closed season, the fish WILL indead jump into the boat. If the waeather is right, they may even storm the beach like grunion. And all the Democrats will be there to throw them right back in! :banghead
NoMoSurf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-10-2008, 01:28 AM   #5
FORMER Shore & Pier Guide
Snapper

Lunar phase does not control the tide phases in this part of the GoM.

In conjuction with the Solar Declination, the Lunar Declination (angle above or below the Earth's Equator) is what controls ourdiurnal tidal phases. (see attachment)

Each day the moon's declination progresses north (or south) of the Equator for almost two weeks until it reaches it's maximum (about 28 degrees) thenthemovement reverses. The net effect (for us) is the daily tide flow progression that mirrors this lunar movement (about an hour later each day) until the cycle's high or low spots(when we have NEAP tides).

But the Lunar Phase we see is the result of the moon's postion during these phases relative to the Earth and Sun.

Hope this helps!
Attached Thumbnails
Tides in the Gulf of Mexico-lunarsolardeclinationgraph-jpg  
Pier#r is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-10-2008, 12:56 PM   #6
Cigar Minnow

That does help and makes sense with what I am finding. Thank you!
Old 03-10-2008, 03:02 PM   #7
Grouper

Best resource I could quickly come up with - neat map showing the crazy tides in the Gulf

http://www.usm.edu/gcrl/MStide/tidedis.htm
Mullethead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-10-2008, 08:47 PM   #8
Cigar Minnow

Great Stuff. Thank You. There really are a lot of variables at work here. I am glad we have tide charts to look at!

Thanks!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.