Sailing - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > General Discussion > General Discussion

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-15-2017, 04:44 PM   #1
Mingo

Default Sailing

I have recently been overtaken by an interest in sailing. I've never really been interested, I guess just seemed... too slow for me. I don't know if its my age, or the fact I'm approaching retirement from the military, or having kids... but things are changing. Anyway, as I said sailing has consumed me. Cant stop reading and thinking about it.

A new ambition of mine is to buy and live aboard a big catamaran one day, if even for just a relatively short time; during which I'd like to at least sail around the Americas.

So, with the new ambition step one would be learn to sail I'm planning on taking the sailing class offered at NAS Pensacola this summer but am also looking at doing the ASA 101, 103, 104 certification with "Reef Runner Sailing".

I'd also like to find a sailing mentor (I don't personally know anyone that sails) and I'll need to buy a boat to learn on.

If there is any sailors around, I'd be thankful to chat.
oldflathead likes this.
Njydvr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-15-2017, 04:54 PM   #2
Grand Slam

My wife and I sailed allot in years gone past. We bought a 16' Compac Yacht for about $2800, with a 4 HP kicker. Our friends we bought it from took us out for a 2 hour lesson, and then literally jumped off the boat and swam to shore by the old Rod and Reel Marina. And left us to learn to get it back ourselvies. We loved it.

If you can not make the sail boat go the direction you want, start the engine, and motor the direction you want. Great way to learn.

It is a trailerable day sailer, it draws about 16-18 inches, fixed keel. I could set the mast at the boat ramp and rig it in 15 minutes, and then tear it down in 15 minutes. It is a 6 knot hull, and it is self righting. It is a great learner sailboat, for little money, and they hold their value, so re-sale is great.

Once we learned this one, we then moved to a 36' Beneteau.

In fact, I sold ours for $1000 more than what we paid, in 2004.

All boating is work, in a sailboat, you work while boating, depending in the winds. In a motor vessel you work to earn the money to pay for the fuel.

Here is a link to a comparable sail boat.

http://www.boattrader.com/listing/19...sail-102549017

Old Flat Head Tom should be along shortly to add his 10 million dollar advise.

Last edited by BananaTom; 02-15-2017 at 05:03 PM.
BananaTom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2017, 05:01 PM   #3
Snapper

Take a look at the Catalina 22's you can find a lot of them at very good prices and there's several clubs for the 22 and even one over in the Orange Beach area that hosts races and over night club trips. But always remember Tiller Towards Trouble!!!
stevenattsu is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2017, 05:19 PM   #4
Motorcycle, ATV Service
White Marlin

I grew up on power boats, my dad hated sail boats with a passion. But once I got out of the military and working a regular job I got the sailing bug. I did like you did, read everything I could. Then I bought a Southcoast 22. I taught myself to sail. First time out on that boat we sailed 50 miles to get to the marina I was keeping it in. The motor lasted us for the first 5 or six miles then it gave up on us so it was either figure out how to sail the darn thing or hope the current carried us close to shore. Took me and a buddy 3 days to get it that 50 miles but by the time we got to the marina I had the hang of it and actually sailed it right into the slip, dropping sails as we glided it. Let me tell you, in August on the Chesapeake Bay there is NO wind between about 9am and 4pm...

After loosing the mast on a blustery day of hard sailing I retired that boat and got a 26 foot Columbia MKII. Absolutely loved that one. I lived on it for a year. It was very easy to sail and would sail extremely close to the wind. I single handed it many a day spending weekends in my favorite cove away from the hustle and bustle.

Fair warning... once you start sailing you will not be able to get enough of it. Just always remember.. Never give anyone a time you will arrive, just give them a day you will be there.. LOL! I would tell people I would be back to the dock sometime that afternoon or evening..

I had a trailer sailor for a while when we first moved here but it was a pain to set up and we didnt use it as much as I thought we were cause of that. If I could afford another one and afford slip fees, I would have another one now.

Great thing with my Columbia was we would take 2 weeks vacation every year and sail the chesapeake bay. I had a 6 gallon gas tank. After two weeks when I got back to the marina I still had 3 or more gallons left in that tank.
oldflathead likes this.

Doug "Breeze" Middleton
Cycles By Breeze
Motorcycle and ATV Service and Repair
3830 W. Navy Blvd
Pensacola, Fl. 32507
850-438-0401

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Cycles...88519777907410

10% discount to Forum Members
25% discount to Active Duty

"America is not at war. The U.S. Military is at war. America is at the Mall.
If you don't stand behind our troops, PLEASE feel free to stand in front of them!"Call
Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2017, 06:04 PM   #5
Mingo

Nice! Thanks for the replies. I'm gonna check this out this weekend: http://pensacola.craigslist.org/boa/5954725486.html

I'm thinking this has what's needed to get me started. I did consider spending a bit more (10-15k range) and getting something that would satisfy me a bit longer, however at this point it's still an assumption that I'll actually enjoy sailing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Njydvr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2017, 06:06 PM   #6
Trigger

Volunteer to crew on a races at PYC or NYC. Quickest way to learn.
Orion45 likes this.
snake 166 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2017, 06:09 PM   #7
Motorcycle, ATV Service
White Marlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Njydvr View Post
Nice! Thanks for the replies. I'm gonna check this out this weekend: http://pensacola.craigslist.org/boa/5954725486.html

I'm thinking this has what's needed to get me started. I did consider spending a bit more (10-15k range) and getting something that would satisfy me a bit longer, however at this point it's still an assumption that I'll actually enjoy sailing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thats a nice one there and would be easy to learn on. Plus it has roller furling which will become your new best friend..

Doug "Breeze" Middleton
Cycles By Breeze
Motorcycle and ATV Service and Repair
3830 W. Navy Blvd
Pensacola, Fl. 32507
850-438-0401

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Cycles...88519777907410

10% discount to Forum Members
25% discount to Active Duty

"America is not at war. The U.S. Military is at war. America is at the Mall.
If you don't stand behind our troops, PLEASE feel free to stand in front of them!"Call
Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2017, 06:10 PM   #8
Snapper

We did the beginner class at the navy base and had a blast. The first class is about half class half sailing but you do everything yourself. Everyone gets their own sunfish and you go at it.
wallace1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2017, 06:29 PM   #9
Sailfish

I see you are considering sailing lessons at NAS. They have sailboats for rent, so you could rent until you learn a little of what you want in a sail boat. I learned on a sunfish, went to a 23 ft, then to a 37ft. What you plan to do , day sail, overnighters with the family, vacation trips all will determine what type and size.
submariner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2017, 06:36 PM   #10
Grand Slam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Njydvr View Post
Nice looking, I see you are going to need a small outboard for it.

At that price, you can not loose, the resale will be easy, especially if you sell in high boating times

Tags
asa certification, sail, sailboat, sailing

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.