Red snapper annual catch limits - Page 4 - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > General Discussion > General Discussion

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-18-2012, 03:51 PM   #31
Senior Member
Mingo
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 176
Default

I certainly don't understand the management of red snapper as well as I'd like, but I think the idea is to allow the the population to reach the carrying capacity of the gulf. This is projected to provide a maximum sustainable yield of approx 14 million pounds.
lbhuntley is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 04-18-2012, 04:19 PM   #32
Registered User
Grouper
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Orange Beach, Alabama
Posts: 1,136
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbhuntley View Post
I certainly don't understand the management of red snapper as well as I'd like, but I think the idea is to allow the the population to reach the carrying capacity of the gulf. This is projected to provide a maximum sustainable yield of approx 14 million pounds.
Of mature fish "over 10 pounds" the ones that produce most the eggs.
Fairwaterfishing is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-18-2012, 05:42 PM   #33
Senior Member
Grand Slam
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Offshore with the merMEN
Posts: 6,572
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFish View Post
Lbhuntley,

If the red snapper is in such dire straits, then why is the commercial sector still allowed to harvest it?? Any endangered species would be taken away from commercial harvesters first, but why wasn't the red snapper??
For real.
aroundthehorn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-18-2012, 06:02 PM   #34
Senior Member
Trigger
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 266
Default

This type of management strategy has been implemented pretty much to every major commercial fishery in this country. For the most part commercial fisherman have gotten the shaft big time, except for the boats that get awarded hug catch shares, but even they are at the whim of the feds and can have their quotas stripped at any time.

For the most part recreational fishermen haven't been impacted, except where they lapse into fisheries that also have a historic commerical fishery (these are the ones the feds are going after). So the recreational sector isn't getting the shaft over snapper because the commercial guys don't want them fishing, they are getting the shaft because the feds are undertaking a major reduction in take from all of the big commercial fisheries and they are getting lumped in with the commercial guys. I know, it seems like common since to just say no commercial take and let recreationals fish, but that just isn't going to happen in sectors that have historically had a commercial fishery.
Crab Man is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-18-2012, 06:10 PM   #35
Senior Member
Trigger
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 254
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crab Man View Post
This type of management strategy has been implemented pretty much to every major commercial fishery in this country. For the most part commercial fisherman have gotten the shaft big time, except for the boats that get awarded hug catch shares, but even they are at the whim of the feds and can have their quotas stripped at any time.

For the most part recreational fishermen haven't been impacted, except where they lapse into fisheries that also have a historic commerical fishery (these are the ones the feds are going after). So the recreational sector isn't getting the shaft over snapper because the commercial guys don't want them fishing, they are getting the shaft because the feds are undertaking a major reduction in take from all of the big commercial fisheries and they are getting lumped in with the commercial guys. I know, it seems like common since to just say no commercial take and let recreationals fish, but that just isn't going to happen in sectors that have historically had a commercial fishery.
The Rec fisherman get the shaft by the commercial fisherman because the commercial goes over there quota each year so the take it away from the rec. They should seperate the quotas and if the commercial goes over penalize them either in $$ or for next years quota. leave us out of there greed!
Bow Down is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-18-2012, 06:23 PM   #36
Senior Member
White Marlin
 
lastcast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Lillian,Al
Posts: 3,889
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbhuntley View Post
I certainly don't understand the management of red snapper as well as I'd like, but I think the idea is to allow the the population to reach the carrying capacity of the gulf. This is projected to provide a maximum sustainable yield of approx 14 million pounds.
It's okay, it'll be fillet and release soon anyways!
Also, and a big also. If they would count all- ALL the Snapper there would be a huge difference. Artificial reefs don't count. How many do we have in our area? Seperate the Gulf and let us fish!!!!
__________________
Skip

Last edited by lastcast; 04-18-2012 at 06:26 PM.
lastcast is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-18-2012, 06:27 PM   #37
Senior Member
Trigger
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 266
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bow Down View Post
The Rec fisherman get the shaft by the commercial fisherman because the commercial goes over there quota each year so the take it away from the rec. They should seperate the quotas and if the commercial goes over penalize them either in $$ or for next years quota. leave us out of there greed!
The recreational season qouta keeped going down because they where claimin the recreational secor was exceeding it's own quota. The commercial quota never had anything to do with it. It is already seperate. The commercial are not allowed to exceed quot, they have to stop fishing when each indivdual boat's IFQ is met.

We are all getting the shaft from the federal government, not other fishermen.

Last edited by Crab Man; 04-18-2012 at 06:29 PM.
Crab Man is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-01-2012, 07:36 PM   #38
Senior Member
Snapper
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Jefferson County, MO
Posts: 519
Default

Today is the day they announce season right?
minkmaster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-2012, 02:21 AM   #39
Senior Member
Grouper
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 852
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crab Man View Post
The recreational season qouta keeped going down because they where claimin the recreational secor was exceeding it's own quota. The commercial quota never had anything to do with it. It is already seperate. The commercial are not allowed to exceed quot, they have to stop fishing when each indivdual boat's IFQ is met.

We are all getting the shaft from the federal government, not other fishermen.
X2. It is not the commercial shafting the recs, it is the Fed shafting both commercial and recs. As noted the commercial quota is already seperate and tracked much more accurately than the rec quota.
DreamWeaver21 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:15 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2