Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

Needing help with a bad experience with the local prop shop

5K views 35 replies 25 participants last post by  Wharf Rat 
#1 ·
I dropped my lower unit off to the prop shop on Sept 3rd and was givin the following Monday as a fix date to straighten my prop shaft and fix the skeg. It's been over 3 weeks and it's the same story, should be fixed by tomorrow for the last 15 times I called. I asked to get the lower unit back but he said I can't because it's with his mechanic and denied me knowing where that's at.
Am I being u reasonable? And what can I do to get my lower unit back? :(

#3 ·
WTF, seriously?
They're holding your property even upon your demand that it be returned?
Bad scene right there.

Reactions: holicori
#9 ·
The man is a crook plain and simple. Sold us a lower unit that was supposed to be counter rotation and it was not. He started the story of he was trying to get the correct lower unit and after almost a month of phone calls we showed up at the store with the lower unit and demanded money back. Then he tried some restocking fee bs. We got all our money back. But my Dad was pissed. Will never do business with him again.

#19 ·
Yep that's him. I'm on vacation this week and I was supposed to take the in-laws on the boat. Next week I'm going to be looking into taking him to court. I signed a paper but no waiting period stated. He says he's not going to charge me for the prop job and hes embarrassed and his mechanic said it would be done Monday.

#25 ·
I called the sheriffs office, they pretty much said its on the borderline of criminal and civil. They offered to come down there with me to demand my unit back. I told him about coming down there with a sheriff, now all the sudden its done and just needs to be pressure tested overnight but it will be done tomorrow. This is after he promised it being done today.

So I'm going to try to make it down there with the sheriffs.

#30 ·
Pressure check a rebuilt lower unit, That is another bullshit story. The way lower units seals are made a pressure test is also useless. If the seals are totally worn one like from line in them you will see the oil leaking out.Leaking Seals with normal wear will seal if pressure or a vacuum is put on them because there are two seals that are put in with the lips in opposite directions. Pressure on one will cause it to seal, vacuum on the other will cause it to seal. Water in lower unit change all the seals a new rebuilt unit, No reason to or sense to check new seals. Don't feel bad years ago the crook got me for $100

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.