Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

MRIP data is out for May/June 2015 for red snapper

2K views 20 replies 14 participants last post by  dustyflair 
#1 ·
If I am reading this right, in May/June Alabama anglers ran 26,000 angler trips outside of 3 miles and caught 260,000 red snapper weighing about 2,600,000 lbs. That is 100 lbs of snapper per angler per trip. Pretty impressive considering they can only keep 2 fish.

#7 ·
nay consider 5 people per boat or 20 # per person. equal = 100 per boat trip Now some boat may have had only 2 or 3 people but they caught bigger fish and some boats had 10 people. They could only keep smaller fish with out overloading the boat. so it averages out!

#8 ·
...260,000 fish
........x 10
2,600,000 total weight

That's only 10lbs per fish caught.

....26,000 trips
......x 100
2,600,000 total weight

That's 100lbs per trip with no reference for # of anglers.

Throw in party boats and the like and you've got a lot of people fishing for snapper at the same time. 100lbs per trip is totally feasible.

#9 ·
An angler trip is one fisherman and one fishing trip. I got a phone effort survey last week so I know a little about it.

The point is that either the effort estimation or the catch data or both is way out of whack. They had problems with the Alabama sampling program last year.

You would think someone who has oversight on the program would have picked up this obvious descrepancy---I know the data is preliminary but this is an error on the order of 5X.

With ten times the effort, Florida reported half as many fish with an average weight of about 5 lb.

#13 ·
An angler trip is one fisherman and one fishing trip. I got a phone effort survey last week so I know a little about it.

The point is that either the effort estimation or the catch data or both is way out of whack. They had problems with the Alabama sampling program last year.
That would mean that based on the numbers of 26,000 trips and 260,000 fish - each angler kept 10 fish per trip out.... That doesn't add up either.

26,000 trips x 5 anglers = 130,000 "angler trips"

Then you've got your 2 fish per angler/per trip limit accounted for.

Unless they're actually allowed to keep 10 a piece out there.......

#11 ·
Kinda funny this has been brought up. I got a buddy in Alabama who went fishing mid to late August on a Charter and he immediately sent me a Photo of a 20# ARS he caught when he hit the dock. I said Dang man that's a big un! He sent me a text a little later and said it was 12.5#. I have weighed a bunch of 20#ers that turned out to be 10#ers.

#16 · (Edited)
Another way to look at it is they are saying 26,000 trips over those 60 days. Comes out to about 433 boats went out each day and had 5 people limit out on 10lbs snapper. When you start to take out for days when snapper wasn't open or the weather was unfavorable the number of boats that they are saying were out there on an average day starts to go way up.

#19 ·
Is the report saying that each angler caught 100 pounds of fish per trip. If only allowed 2 fish that would mean...2 snappers that weighed over 50 pounds each. If that's the case I want to fish that snapper hole!!!

#21 ·
So 26,000 angler trips in 60 days is 433 fishermen fishing from charters boats out of Alabama everyday for 2 months. Any day the fleet couldn't get out would mean the next day almost 900 people would have to fish. If 2 days were missed it would have been nearly 1,300. The numbers don't make sense since there weren't 60 fish able days??

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.