Minn Kota Rip Tide SP PrObLeMs!! - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > General Discussion > General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-28-2011, 08:45 PM   #1
Ruby Red Lip

Default Minn Kota Rip Tide SP PrObLeMs!!

Has anyone had trouble with this or any of the co-pilot motors? I just dropped it off for the 3rd time for the same problem. Control board keeps going bad. L&L Marine has been great about repairing it under warranty, but it will last 3-6 months and then fail again. I've had the boat wiring checked twice and both times it has checked out fine. The Warranty is about to expire and Minn Kota has offered to replace it with a new unit. I'm thinking about going back to a hand control to hopefully have a reliable trolling motor. Any thoughts/comments would be greatly appreciated.

Michael
Absofishingloutely is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-28-2011, 08:58 PM   #2
Sailfish

I've had problems over the years, but take their offer and get a new unit, its warranteed for another 3-years and as they build newer units the older problems are cured.

These units take a beating in a harsh environment, but to date Minnkota has stood behind the problems. The benefit and ease of use goes a long way, i could never go back to using a foot or hand control.
SolarFlare is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2011, 09:44 PM   #3
Ruby Red Lip

My hand control 101 riptide has crapped out twice already in 6 months. And I only use it for floundering - most maybe 15 times since new. They don't make them like they used to....

I thought the warranty was 2 not 3 years?
triguy7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2011, 11:18 PM   #4
Ruby Red Lip

3 years on shaft 2 years on everything else.
Old 03-01-2011, 10:46 AM   #5
Grouper

I just wrote about the same thing on another thread. POS !!! I finally took mine off and bought a motorguide but I messed up and bought another wireless. I don't think the technology is there yet to stand up to saltwater???
Jighead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-01-2011, 02:26 PM   #6
Sailfish

Location: Ozark, Missouri - 6 miles from Bass Pro Shops' world headquarters.

Voltage is a biggie with the remote control trolling motors. If you are not recharging your batteries each time before using them you likely will have some problems. Also, if the trolling motor is not totally disconnected from the electrical source before storage, it will maintain power to the board 24/7; another key reason for failures on these units.

In my opinion, the remote control motors are the greatest thing since...Power Pole, or vice versa. At any rate, these devices give you more time to fish and less time to deal with motors and anchors; but, they are mechanical and subject to failure.
fishn4real is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-01-2011, 02:55 PM   #7
Ruby Red Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishn4real View Post
Voltage is a biggie with the remote control trolling motors. If you are not recharging your batteries each time before using them you likely will have some problems. Also, if the trolling motor is not totally disconnected from the electrical source before storage, it will maintain power to the board 24/7; another key reason for failures on these units.

In my opinion, the remote control motors are the greatest thing since...Power Pole, or vice versa. At any rate, these devices give you more time to fish and less time to deal with motors and anchors; but, they are mechanical and subject to failure.
So you recommend killing all power to the motor every-time your not using it? I use my boat at least once a week year round, so it never get disconnected form the batteries. I also have an on board charger that i plug in immediately after every use. Could this be a problem?
Old 03-01-2011, 02:56 PM   #8
White Marlin

good answer Mitch, you ready to come run my trolling motor shop

Ms Penny Fishing Team

Member NRA 172499461

Barber Marina

1-251-987-2628 (BOAT)

www.barbermarina.com

Sequoiha@centurylink.net
Sequoiha is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.