Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

Items stolen from Boat shop?

1K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  fishn4real 
#1 ·
Can anyone offer insight into what Florida law says about items stolen from a boat mechanic's shop? Let's say you leave your boat with a mechanic or fab shop and expensive items (trolling motor, etc) are stolen off the boat while it's there? Where does responsibility fall? With the owner of the shop or the boat owner?

#5 ·
Serious question... If I dropped my truck off at Walmart Service center for an oil change and a new battery with the intentions of picking it up after work, Would they cover my spare tire and my Yeti in the back of my truck if it was gone when I got back??? Or The Tailgate if it was Taken while in their care??

#4 ·
Yep, shop says their insurance does not cover theft of items from the boat. But my insurance co says if I file a claim they'll pay it and pursue the shop with their lawyers to try and recover their cost. I just wondered why they'd do that if the law says the boat owner is responsible.

#6 ·
I don't know about boat repair shops but most automotive shops have signs posted that they are not responsible for theft. I am pretty sure it also says it on the paper that Florida requires automotive repair shops to use that you sign when dropping off your car. I will have to check the form when I get to the shop Monday to be sure though. If it does say it on the form, and since you sign the form, then I would think the shop would not be responsible. I don't know of any automotive shop that would cover theft.

However, I think the shop should take every opportunity it can to prevent it.

Sent from my LG-V410

Reactions: stc1993
#9 ·
Yepper....every shop I have seen is the same as Breeze says. Heck I had a recall on my tractor and had to drive 2 hours to the dealer. I asked him if I could leave my car hauler in his fenced yard and he told me no due to the possibility of theft even though he wouldn't be responsible. He was kind enough to say I could leave it in the front of his shop but he wouldn't be responsible again...I said NO THANK YOU, it was a purty crack head area!!! So I sucked it up and drove it the 2 hours back home, then repeat a week later!!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.