How do I make a great mingo rig? - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > General Discussion > General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-16-2013, 12:09 AM   #1
Blue Marlin

Default How do I make a great mingo rig?

What is the best way to make a mingo rig? I am thinking 60-60 lb mono with 3 drops. What is the best way to make the drops?
jspooney is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-16-2013, 12:20 AM   #2
FastCast Custom Rods
Grouper

If your thinking 60lb mono the why not just tie your three hooks into the stand line using surgeon loops. Simple, easy, and no terminal tackle.
Fast Cast Custom Rods LLC
Sea Pro SV1900CC Mercury 115 EFI
tiderider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-16-2013, 12:23 AM   #3
Sailfish

Three way swivels....good ones. Twist your drops double and make them about eight to ten inches long. You can use a small, battery powered straight die grinder with an eye bolt chucked inside to do the twists. Hang the die grinder from above, loop your hook onto the doubled line, then put the hook in the eye bolt and make the twists tight. This will prevent the drop from twisting around the main line when you free spool toward the bottom.
panhandleslim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-16-2013, 12:28 AM   #4
Grouper

Default dropper rig

60 lbs is fine but i use 30-40 LBS most of the time easier to get small hooke for triggers on there. start with a 6 foot section of mono put swivel on top and make a 3 inch loop at the bottom for a Bank sinker or put another swivel there for a torpedo your choice. about 3 feet up from sinker make a loop wrap the loop around your finger 3 times and pull the tag end back through the 3 loops on your finger leaving a 3-4 inch double line loop then come down 2 feet from swivel repeat.
you can easily change hooks, sinkers etc. as they are loop connections. I never fish a 3 foot chicken rig but i guess just make it out of 8 feet of mono.
billin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-16-2013, 12:50 AM   #5
***Creepy A$$ Cracker***
White Marlin

Tye a chicken rig and use 1 swivel at the top, all them swivels and hardware are what the africoids use on 3mi bridge... and 40# max.

On the edge every now and then a grouper will hit your mingo right after hook up, but seldom 40# max 30# is what we use. Like mentioned by bilin the small hooks are much easier to get on and off. I would run a 10oz bank sinker on the bottom on a penn 320gti and a peen slammer boat rod, to my team that was the perfect grouper bait catching rod. It was hell on triggerfish as well with a Sabiki rig rigged the same way... Just because you are fishing in a little deeper water doesn't matter, some of the best advice I ever got was to use the lightest tackle that you possibly can for the fish you are planning to target. The smaller the line the harder for the fish to see, also the smaller the rig the more fun you will have reeling in that monster...

The Road Goes On Forever And The Party Never Ends.....
MULLET HUNTER is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-16-2013, 09:22 AM   #6
Sailfish

We fish 30# fluoro max, and have no issues with strength. I even drop down to 20# fluoro sometimes and haven't noticed any problems. Tie long dropper loops (at least 6" loop off the main line) and cut one side then snell or tie small circle hooks on that single line. Weight is up to depth, current, and your personal preference. Just about any bait will work. I like something with stronger skin so it will stay on the hook a little better, and squid is never a bad option.
nb&twil is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-16-2013, 10:13 AM   #7
26' Twin Vee Weekender
Sailfish

You folks are way too high tech for me, swivels, twisted line,(yea, I've seen and tried them). I use 40# ande with two drops on the line, loop at the top to attach to a swivel, loop on the bottom for a sinker. Just like the party boats do. Quick, easy, and works fine. We've caught quite a few keeper grouper, snapper, and even a nice cobia on these rigs. I make them up in advance and store them in a 3x4 zip lock bag (walmart in the craft isle).
Sea-r-cy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-16-2013, 10:21 AM   #8
Snapper

50-60lb mono, 2-3 hooks tied with loops. only one swivel on top. forgot what size hook but we like the higher strength ones. last few trips we hooks big AJs and landed them. last year we lost a few (possibly grouper too) because of the lighter strength hooks.
Xpac is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-16-2013, 07:49 PM   #9
Ruby Red Lip

However you make them, I found a good way to store them. Take one of those long round foam toys that kids play with in the pool and cut off about 5 inches worth. You can leave your dropper weight attached and force in into the hole of the foam, then start wrapping. When you come to the first hook, stick it in the foam, same with the second. When you get the the loop, just pull it tight under the last wrap. Good to go.
seabiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-16-2013, 07:51 PM   #10
Jiggin Finatic
Grand Slam

30# use dropper loops and cut one end and tie on circle hooks on the tags. 2 or 3 will work well.

II Chronicles 7:14
if My people who are called by My name will humble themselves, and pray and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land.

http://alljiggedup.com/

Randy's Canvas & Marine Vinyls
850-279-4140
850-855-5314 cell
Custom Awnings - Repairs
Boat Cushions - Curtains and more
lobsterman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.