Fuel Ball Collapsing - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > General Discussion > General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-06-2012, 02:16 PM   #1
Cigar Minnow

Default Fuel Ball Collapsing

I am posting because this problem has been plaguing me for over a year. I have a 25' Gradey White with twin Yamaha 200's and with 2 fuel takes, and 110 gal main, and 90 gal aux. From the each fuel tank, there are two lines that run to a switch, than separate lines out of each switch to each engine. Each line to engine has its own water separator and primer ball. There is one vent line per tank. The fitting for the fuel tanks do not have any anti-siphon valve that I can tell.

When running at cruise of about 4500RPMS, the primer ball will collapse until you switch over to the main tank. It will do with either engine, it will allows follow the aux tank.

I have changed all the fuel lines from both tanks all the way to the engine including primer balls and filters. I've taken the switch about and there is nothing clogged in it. I have changed both vent lines. I have blown out the vent lines to make sure fuel is not clogging them, which no fuel in vent lines. I've also had emerald coast marine completely clean out both tanks and remove any build up.

PLEASE HELP! This annoying problem nags at me every time we take the boat out. Plus, it limits distance on offshore strips.
L'attitude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-06-2012, 02:27 PM   #2
OCD Reel Service/Repair
White Marlin

To help with diagnosis, and if you have clean fuel, I would attach the fuel lines directly to the engines. By passing the fuel/water separator. Just to see if it still collapses the primer bulb.

Are your primer bulbs before or after the separator?

"Wheelchair Accessible Fishing"
Ocean Master is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-06-2012, 03:26 PM   #3
Cigar Minnow

Thanks for your reply!

The primer balls are after the water seperators. There is a seperate one for each engine and the ball collapsed with either one
Old 07-06-2012, 03:44 PM   #4
Grand Slam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean Master View Post
To help with diagnosis, and if you have clean fuel, I would attach the fuel lines directly to the engines. By passing the fuel/water separator. Just to see if it still collapses the primer bulb.

Are your primer bulbs before or after the separator?

This is good advice. Remember, too, that the bulbs can malfunction at any time. Something that it's hard to remember to check.
aroundthehorn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-06-2012, 04:05 PM   #5
Trigger

Quote:
Originally Posted by aroundthehorn View Post
This is good advice. Remember, too, that the bulbs can malfunction at any time. Something that it's hard to remember to check.

2nd the good advice, some times going through the fuel water seperator is too hard of a vacum to pull fuel and the bulb is weaker than the walls of the fuel line so it collapses.
ctilton is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-06-2012, 04:18 PM   #6
Mingo

If i am reading your symptoms right there is nothing wrong with your primer bulbs, seperators or fuel lines. If this was the case your problem would occur when running off your main tank as well as your aux tank. Is your fuel line coming from your aux tank the same size as the one coming from the main? smaller diameter hose could collapse your bulb as engine demand increases, you mention switching from main tank to aux, is this an electrical switch or mechanical? maybe it is not opening fully thus limiting fuel flow? what about the hose/fittings coming out of the aux tank? same size as the main tank, just a small difference from a 3/8 to a 1/2 inch can make a big difference. what ever it is it sounds like something is restricting your flow in your aux tank plumbing before the switch assy -after that the main and aux share components and plumbing. good luck and let us know what you find, always good to learn from each other

Last edited by Valhalla; 07-06-2012 at 04:24 PM.
Valhalla is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-06-2012, 04:24 PM   #7
Ruby Red Lip

I would also check the air vent outlets. On our old Grady White, circa 1982, this issue arose from two things, one of which you probably have already cured, that was the micron filter on the pick up in the tank being gummed up, the second was the metal screen they had in the outboard end of the air vent line had corroded to the point of restricting air flow, which led to air and fuel restriction, collapsing bulb.
abacodan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-06-2012, 07:44 PM   #8
Cigar Minnow

I have replaced all the fuel lines and they are all the same 1/2". I also changed the vent lines. There are no screens at the vent at the side of the hull.

The pickup is the tub that goes to the bottom of the tank below where the fuel lines connect? That is the only area that I have not touched yet. Are those removal? I haven't been able to tell. Or can they be cleaned with compressed air?
Old 07-06-2012, 08:06 PM   #9
White Marlin

ill be honest with you about your choice of fuel line, you just posted you replaced everything with 1/2 inch fuel line, this is not always good, depending on the length of the run and if there are any dips or climbs in the line. the bigger fuel line holds more fuel thus takes more suction to pull it threw. your lift pumps are only designed to pull 4.5 hgs, any more than that is considered a restricition. if you had some 350 4 strokes then the 1/2 " fuel line is appropriate. for your application you need 5/16" fuel line. just a thought, and im assuming the main tank is closer to the front, or further from the engines. just a thought

Ms Penny Fishing Team

Member NRA 172499461

Barber Marina

1-251-987-2628 (BOAT)

www.barbermarina.com

Sequoiha@centurylink.net
Sequoiha is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-06-2012, 08:20 PM   #10
Cigar Minnow

Kenny, thanks for your reply. I replaced the lines with the same as was in there, and fairly certain the ones I replaced were original. I don't know if you remember the boat, you flushed the tanks in winter, it's an '89. I just don't what else to look at except replacing the fuel tank itself?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.