Fort Morgan\Orange Beach\Gulf Shores - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > General Discussion > General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-07-2009, 12:25 PM   #1
Ruby Red Lip

Default Fort Morgan\Orange Beach\Gulf Shores

Hey,

I'm heading down to the Fort Morgan area at the end of July. I'm looking for some fun things to do. I know all about the putt-putt golf, the go karts and things like that. I'm wondering if there is anything that is a little more unknown that is a must do.

Also, how aboutfood? Any good places, unknown places that are a must try? I have beencoming down to the Fort Morgan area for years so I know about Lambert's, The HangOut, DeSoto's, The Oyster House..etc. I want to know more about the off the beaten path type places.I did see somewhere about a good BBQ place in OB.

Let me know your thoughts.

THANKS FOR ANY HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!
jdw34 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-07-2009, 12:32 PM   #2
Grouper

Default RE: Fort Morgan\Orange Beach\Gulf Shores

Well my family and I go giggin at west bch pass in Gulf Shores. In regards to food, how about a personal chef catered dinner...that is what we do for a living down here!
badazzchef is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-07-2009, 12:40 PM   #3
Grouper

As far as off the wall things to do....Go to the beach with dip nets/lanterns or flashlightsand do some night time dip netting...thats alwsays fun and you might end up with enough crab to boil a few....Have you ever tried King Neptunes seafood on 59?...I like there fresh raw oysters and there fried softshell crabs....get there early because its a small place and they stay busy in the evenings.
saltfisher1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-07-2009, 12:53 PM   #4
Sailfish

OB is not far from the Naval Air station in Pensacola. They have a great museum, and the Blue Angels have two days of practice each week when they are in Pensacola. Check their website for schedule. These activities are free, and are great for adults and children of all ages.
Buckyt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-07-2009, 12:54 PM   #5
Cigar Minnow

When we were down in May we took the ferry from Fort Morgan to Dauphin Island. Took the self guided tour of Fort Gaines and had lunch at the Common Loon. Fort Gaines is in much better condition than Fort Morgan and I thought it was a better tour. Both are interesting though.
jfinch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-07-2009, 12:56 PM   #6
Ruby Red Lip

The Original Point Restaurant and Fisherman's Corner are great!Go through Orange Beach into Perdido Key, over the Theo Barrs bridge. Fisherman's Corner will be directlyunder the bridge.(Tim's spicy oysters are delicious!)Turn left at the red lightonto Innerarity Point Rd. to find The Point Restaurant. (Royal reds are wonderful!) It's not that far of a drive from Ft. Morgan. These are places that the locals go to eat.
irritation point is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-07-2009, 01:18 PM   #7
Grouper

Eat at Big O's just south of the Burgerking on 59 in Gulf shores. Mahi on a bun, shrimp po boy, and crab craws are great. GUMBO IS NOT GOOD! I hear they have a good cheeseburger but I have not tried it.

If you like steamed seafood try Gulf Shores Steamer.

Fishing 1st, eating a very close 2nd.
Jighead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-07-2009, 01:37 PM   #8
Grouper

Quote:
Jighead (7/7/2009)Eat at Big O's just south of the Burgerking on 59 in Gulf shores. Mahi on a bun, shrimp po boy, and crab craws are great. GUMBO IS NOT GOOD! I hear they have a good cheeseburger but I have not tried it.

If you like steamed seafood try Gulf Shores Steamer.

Fishing 1st, eating a very close 2nd.

No offense intended but Big O's doesnt even compare to King Neptunes.....I went to Big O's 4 times and 4 times they failed miserably on service and food....I ordered there royal red feast the last time I was in there and the shrimp were very old....I demanded better shrimp and they brought out a second plate of the same rotten crap....the wife ordered a fried platter that was greasy/soggy as all get out....We were clearly upset but the manager insisted the food was fine...we wanted our money back and didnt get it so we leftthe food there and went for a burger....The three shrimp that I did eat upset my stomach later that evening into the next day....This wasnt the first time we had problems with them so we started going to King Neptunes where the service and food is hard to beat in the area....Things that were supposed to be cold were warm and things that were supposed to be hot were room temperature....There were a number of flies in the place while we were there on 3 of the 4 visits....I gave this place way too many chances and the only reason I did so was because the line outside of King Neptunes was so long and Big O's was close...I dont think this place has been passing all of its inspections and needs to be turned over to "dirty dining".

I can agree with you on the Gulf Steamer 100%.
saltfisher1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-07-2009, 03:02 PM   #9
Ruby Red Lip

You did not say if you will have a boat or not but you can get to Pirate's Cove by land or water. From Ft. Morgan Rd. by car take 59 north to 98 and go east through Elberta to 95. Take a right on 95 heading south and it is about 7 miles, you can't miss it. By boat just take the ICW east and when you get to Bear Point look to your north. It's adive of a burger joint but is fun. They serve burgers, pizzas, etc. Just make sure to take you patience because the service is not fast.When you begin to think that they lost you order, have another beverage andyour food will be out shortly.Tell the kids to have their bathing suits on because there is a beach area to swim.
RogueAngler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-07-2009, 03:28 PM   #10
Snapper

Try the Tin Top in Bon Secour. It's not touristy, the food is top notch, and the atmosphere is perfect for a night out. I live in Baldwin County, it's the FIRST place I'll reccomend to friends that come down here looking for something "off the beaten path."

Roll Tide!
Orangebeach28 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.