boat purchase/sale in florida - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > General Discussion > General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-03-2011, 04:53 PM   #1
Grand Slam

Default boat purchase/sale in florida

Considering purchasing a boat here. Can anybody tell me how to do the bill of sale? That is, do I have to pay tax on both the hull and the motor if there are separate bills of sale for them? Or would it just be the hull and the trailer?

TIA for any help.
aroundthehorn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-03-2011, 05:40 PM   #2
Trigger

Florida has tighter regs I think. Usually, you can ask the seller to write up 3 different bills of sale. In Alabama, the only one that matters is the one with the boat on it. So you pay tax on only the value of the hull. In Florida.....you might get a little more scrutiny. Best fire up google and see what you find.

Roll Tide!
Orangebeach28 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2011, 05:45 PM   #3
White Marlin

In state, or out of state? Might try a search for "bill of sale" . There was a few threads on here about diff situations.
lastcast is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2011, 06:28 PM   #4
Grand Slam

I'm out of state (Alabama), but moving here permanently. Any other help or advice appreciated!
Old 05-03-2011, 08:27 PM   #5
Flats Fisher
Trigger

If you have a notarized breakdown bill of sale in Florida you will only pay taxes on vessel and trailer and not the motor. I just purchased a boat out of Louisianna and the only problem bringing in to Fl is I had to have the ORIGINAL registration for the boat with the state seal as they dont title boats they only title the trl. (All Vin/serial #s also had to be on BOS)
Aqua Uno is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2011, 08:44 PM   #6
Grand Slam

OK.. so I need:
BOS for the motor, hull, and trailer.
All BOS have to be notarized.
All BOS have to have the respective SNs on them.

Boat is here in Pensacola, so there is a title for the boat.

Then, I go and pay the 7.5% to the tax collector's office on the hull and the trailer?
Old 05-03-2011, 09:35 PM   #7
Trigger

You can do one bill of sale and have the boat, motor, and trailer itemized per cost:
I _______ bought _______ for the amount of $______ on May 3, 2011
Boat: $500
Motor: $10,000
Trailer: $500

Seller:______________
Buyer:______________

This was just an example. It doesn't have to be notarized but it does have to be signed by both parties involved. You only pay taxes on the hull (hint, hint) plus the registration fee for the boat. Hope this helps. That's what I know as a Fla resident and buying a boat in Fla.

There he stands, draped in more equipment than a telephone lineman, trying to outwit an organism with a brain no bigger than a breadcrumb, and getting licked in the process. ~Paul O'Neil, 1965
wetley49 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-04-2011, 10:14 PM   #8
Mingo

The discretionary sales tax only applies to the first $5,000 of the sales price--after that it is 6% up to $18,000 tax. (in case you are buying a boat which costs over $300,000!) If the boat is an inboard--you cannot exclude the motors...
thataway is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-05-2011, 10:05 AM   #9
Grouper

I bought a boat in AL and registered / titled it in FL. I used the bill of sale here http://www.taxcollect.com/webimages/...rms/uds106.pdf and the current AL registration. It does not have to be notorized. I paid sales tax to FL on the boat and trailer but not on the outboards.

It doesn't matter too much where you buy the boat. The taxes come in where you title or register the boat.
DreamWeaver21 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-05-2011, 10:25 AM   #10
White Marlin

From Florida DMV website:
"
If the seller of a vessel entered the entire selling price of a vessel, trailer and motor as the selling price on the transfer portion of the vessel title being transferred, must the new owner pay sales tax on the entire amount?
Yes, sales tax must be paid on the amount entered on the title, unless an itemized bill of sale listing the price of each component of the rig is submitted with the application. In such a case, the owner would only be required to pay sales tax on the vessel and trailer."
http://www.flhsmv.gov/dmv/faqboat.html#4

Somewhere I think I seen where you can also itemize out all of the equipment that is not bolted into the hull and also all of the non-original electronics. And not pay taxes on that stuff also.
You should contact Janet Holly, the tax collector on that one. If that is where you will reside.
johnsonbeachbum is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.