Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

boat history report??

2K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  Gator McKlusky 
#1 ·
Who do I use to get a boat history report. I tried to search the forum for information but didn't find anything. Looking for forum experience as to the best source/$. Thanks

#4 ·
I have worked with auto, marine, & motorcycle dealers for almost 34 years. Even Carfax has flaws in its' reporting system and it is extremely well organized. The marine industry as a whole is by its' very nature very fragmented. A Carfax ( and other similar companies) gets most of their information from the insurance industry, the National Highway Traffic and Safety Administration Agency, and the various state Departments of Insurance and Public Safety. This accounting and collecting of this information just is not as feasible or accurate in the powersports industry.

To start, full coverage insurance is not carried by a large % of both marine and motorcycle owners -- especially in the smaller fishing boat and 4 wheeler
market. Most homeowner insurance carriers do not differentiate or categorize their source of claims. You inquired about a BOAT report -- what about the engine ? In the marine business, it is most always a different company than the actual boat itself. Finally, it is a very small market compared to the auto market and it probably not cost efficient for anyone to develop a really good system.

#7 ·
Hi Fighterpilot,

It looks like you've had a lot of great feedback so far, especially from Isucole. Isucole is very correct on the way history services work, and unfortunately, the marine industry is not nearly as organized and comprehensive when it comes to reporting as the car vehicle industry. As far as using a service like ours, we rely on extensive databases to determine if the vessel has a clean history or if it has been a victim of any of the negative events that plague boats and their owners! We work with the National Insurance Crime Bureau, as well as a myriad of other public and private sources to provide the most complete reports possible. Although BoatHistoryReport.com is not a replacement for a complete and thorough survey on the vessels present condition, we are a quick and easy method of checking for negative events in a vessels history before taking the next and final step in completing your purchase; we actually work with NAMS/SAMS certified surveyors who use our service to get a base history on the vessel before completing their survey. Feel free to give us a try- our number one goal is to provide accurate reports and we want our fellow boaters to be happy with our service which is why we offer a 100% satisfaction guarantee. If you are not happy with your results, we will issue a full refund for your purchase. Feel free to reach us via email at info@boathistoryreport.com or phone at 1-800-441-7599. We’re happy to chat more with you and answer any questions you may still have.

Either way, we wish you many happy days on the water and the best of luck with your purchase!

Happy New Year!
Annie, from BoatHistoryReport.com

#10 ·
No such thing!

Sorry
There is no such thing as a "boat history report". When buying a boat any size from a 15K center console to a 750 K battlewagon you are "on your own". A lot of people are going to disagree with me but the bottom line is you can hire a "certified marine surveyor" to ease your mind but here's the facts. A CERTIFIED MARINE SURVEYOR takes a BS test and sets up an LLC. He or she inspects your boat charges you a FAIR price. When the Shi** hits the fan and you get taken there is NO recourse for you to recover what's wrong. The surveyor has more excuses than "Carter" has liver pills! That profession has long since hit the rocks!!
Just my opinion and "I'm entitled to it".;););););)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.