barracuda - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > General Discussion > General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-28-2011, 09:35 AM   #1
Ruby Red Lip

Default barracuda

We caught a big cuda at the Ram Powell last Sunday. Not knowing any better we cut it up for bait. When we got back read in fish ID book that Cudas are EXCELLENT to eat. Has anyone ever eaten cuda?

NO yellow fin, only blackfin and of course ERS to about 20lbsbarracuda-tn-jpg vented and released
52fish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-28-2011, 09:42 AM   #2
Still haven't caught a
Sailfish

I've heard they are pretty good, but haven't tried them. To me, they always have a really nasty metallic smell to them that is enough to deter me. They almost smell like battery acid or something, it's weird.

Some people will probably tell you they cause ciguatera poisoning, but I have never heard of that in our area. In the keys and tropics, yes, and also probably near some of the oil rigs off Louisiana in clean, deep warm water with heavy coral growth that have dinoflagellates attached to them.

I'm sure someone here has tried one before.
FenderBender is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2011, 09:43 AM   #3
Grouper

I went "Marlin" fishing in Mexico in 1999. The reason I said "Marlin" is because all we caught were huge cudas all day. No changing locations to get away from them. This was before I knew anything about salt water fishing. Hell they may have been wahoo for all I know but I think they were cudas. We were catching them at least 5ft long if memory serves and the deck hands went crazy everytime we landed one. They must like them.
Jighead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2011, 10:31 AM   #4
Grouper

I've never eaten a large one due to the ciguatera possibility, as I'm catching them in the keys. I have eaten a couple under 2 ft out of curiosity and they are in fact quite tasty. Similar to grouper, but a little drier.
PBTH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2011, 11:15 AM   #5
Snapper

I use to shoot them in GTMO Bay and give them to the Jamacans, they said they were great. They tested them for ciguatera toxins by seeing if flies would land and stay on the scraps while cleaning them, if they did, good to go, if not they used them for bait. I lived in the keys when i was young and some of the old timers ate the 2 footers and below, they likewise used the same test as above but with a stray cat that hung around the cleaning table. If the cat ate it, they ate it, if not they just chucked it in the water. I guess the flies and cat could sense the toxins. But as mentioned before, i dont think this is an issue here, due to lack of coral reefs.
Biller48 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2011, 09:04 AM   #6
Grouper

I ate some once that was shot by a friend while we were diving, it was pretty good. I've read that the dangers from ciguatera were mainly limited to south FL. That was 5 years ago and I'm still here.

Tod
PCfisher66 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2011, 09:19 AM   #7
Trigger

Send a message via AIM to ClemsonTiger11

They love them down in Aruba. My wife and I were there on our honeymoon and caught one on a charter. The guys on the boat told us to take it to this local restaurant and they will cook it for you. We did, and it was pretty good but nothing to write home about. As you can see from the pic it was a small one though.
Attached Thumbnails
barracuda-983114-r1-19-2-jpg  
Old 01-31-2011, 09:19 AM   #8
Ruby Red Lip

The story I've heard is that in the islands, the locals put them in the sand and if the ants that get on the cuda don't die they're safe to eat.
FREEDOM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2011, 09:55 AM   #9
WW2
Grand Slam

I have eaten Cuda here and they are very good.
WW2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2011, 11:03 AM   #10
Mingo

I eat them all the time that is when we cautch one have heard about the coral poisen coral but havent been sick yet
230 Cobia is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.