Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

Annoying things guest do on a fishing boat.

22K views 95 replies 74 participants last post by  Jive Turkey 
#1 ·
Maybe it's just me, but it seems nearly every fishing trip there is at least a couple of things my buddies/guest do that really bug me.

1. Bang a sinker against my boat. :thumbdown:
2. Leave fish on the floor and not put them in either the bait well or ice chest. :mad:
3. Time after time loose a good fish. :censored:
4. Not be ready to fish when we get to the fishing spot. "Uh, I need a new leader, my old one is frayed" (Well, why didn't you re-tie the 10 minutes were were riding to the new spot?):whistling:
5. Leave a mess in the floor, bait, cans, plastic bottles, wrappers, leader material, etc.:cursing:
6. Not return the pliers, de-hooker, gaff, or knife to the proper place.:hammer:

How about the rest of you, any others?

Sea-r-cy

#2 ·
LOL.

1) Not say thank you for a $4000 fishing trip and God forbid they slide you a "twenty" for fuel

2) Sit on their ass while you drive the boat, manage the tackle, get all the food, bait, ice, tackle

3) Jump ship before the boat's tied up upon return, not to mention the days worth of clean up and post trip maintenance

4) lay around and eat while captain drives all over the gulf trying to find fish and parched from thirst cuz they're too "lazy and clueless" to even bring a drink up to ya.

5) call wifey once in the pass to get the "I gotta go wifey says something important came up".....yeah, like not helping with the post trip stuff

6) etc, etc, etc....

Sugar Daddy days are OVER.... ;-)

#3 ·
1. Constantly asking if they can reel in the next fish. (Hook one and you can reel it in)
2. Asking if they can drive. (If I need you to drive MY boat I'll let you know)
3. Not bringing snacks/drinks and complaining so much that you finally have to give them one
4. Missing a ton of fish and wasting bait.

#4 ·
Adjust the drags or play with the reels while we are trolling. I had a kid on the boat a few weeks ago that about drove me nuts by reeling in one of my flat lines. He would reel in 2 or 3 cranks at a time and then I would tell him to please stop. A few minutes later he would do it again. I almost went insane from him not listening. I wish I had the authority to spank other peoples kids.

#6 ·
Not puttin rods back in the rocket launchers so when u do hook up a good fish uve got to move everything yourself cause they jus wanna watch.

After showing them a dozen times how to tie a knot they still want u to rigs everything for them.

Act like your tackle is thier tackle.

Not helping for gas because they disnt catch as many as someone else and dont think they should have to pay the same amount.

#10 ·
Top 10

#1 Peeve: Not helping wash down the boat and listening to the excuses...
#2 Peeve: Not washing the blood and skank from either a caught fish or them cutting bait...(my boat won't sink no matter how much water we bring aboard)
#3 Peeve: #2 and #1 combined and in that order...
#4 Peeve: Insisting on dropping a line before the anchoring ritual is complete...
#5 Peeve: Assuming 20 dollars will buy enough gas to get us to the Edge...
#6 Peeve: Not offering to buy ice, when it is hotter out than the surface of the sun...
#7 Peeve: Nobody knows how to throw a cast net other than the captain...
#8 Peeve: Telling the captain, "the other boat I went out on the other day we knocked them dead" but he has no clue where. (I don't care, you are on my boat, my numbers unless you get some better ones and share them, otherwise STFU)
#9 Peeve: Standing at the launch looking like a dumbass when all I want you to do is hang on to the rope when backing the trailer down so the boat doesn't float away...
And finally #10, the all time winner: Jackass tells everyone he knows; "I don't have to buy a boat or tackle because I know this guy that will take us out anytime I want to go".... EFF THAT!

#11 ·
Getting sloppy drunk. That's my biggest complaint and the last time they fish with us. I can handle amateur mistakes like lot of the ones mentioned above but an annoying drunk ruins it for me.

#13 ·
Ditto above, which is why we do this almost every trip. New anglers sometime take time to learn a few of these things though and you should cut them some slack. For whatever reason though, it doesn't seem to matter how many times I tell someone to control their drinking. They still lose control

#16 ·
If I went on a bottom fishing trip with any of you then I would be guilty of a few of these. I don't bottom fish very often so I lack a lot of the gear. I also cant through a cast net very well. Other than that though I agree with almost everything else said. i haven't experienced the annoying drunk yet. That's probably because they guys I fish with can handle their booze or beer. I do have one more though. No glass on my boat. We went out once last year and I forgot a trash bag. Since we weren't using the live well that day I decided that would be the trash can. Sure enough, the empty beer bottles broke in there. That was a pain in the @$$ to clean out.

#18 ·
1. Not understanding that we are fishing, not "catching". If I want to take you catching, I will. However, we might be targeting something specific and understand that it is not a guarantee!!!

2. Don't place my pliors, knife, hook remover, clippers, etc. on the gunwhale and only realize it's not a good place for them after they make a splash and I ask you "what was that"!!!

3. I have children (six to be exact). I love taking them fishing and teaching them about the water. However, I make mine behave. Please do the same. It's not a cruise ship so I can't get away from them. It is your duty to make sure your children are behaved on the boat. We are on a fishing trip. I'm not the baby sitter while you are fishing.

4. If you don't know what you are doing - simply admit it. Don't act like you do and insist this is the right way to do it.

This list could go on and on and I'm enjoying knowing that I am not the only one on the water that at times feels like screaming!!!! However, I wouldn't take anything for the trips on the water. Some are better than others, but it still beats a day in the office!!!

#20 ·
I agree with most everything on here.

Like others said you have to cut a newbie some slack. But a newbie has to have some common snese too!

Appreciate that someone is bringing you along to enjoy a special thing. Act like it!!

Bring Capt. A drink. Take care of the boat. Clean things. Be proactive. Or he'll, even reactive!

If you don't know what to do, ask!

I have my own boats now but have fished on others for years before I did. I always made sure to pull my 110% share. I wanted to be asked back and often times was.

I have 1 or 2 friends that are my regular crew, but we often look for another 1 or 2 to help pitch in for gas and misc expenses associated with fishing.

It is really hard to find those guys (or gals, I'm not sexiest!) that you can count on. I can get any jackass off the street to be a lazy, ungrateful, pain In the ass!

If any of you are reading this and wanting to fish with people. These are good things to think about.

We are currently taking applications for good crew members that understand the posted points.

We fish Orange Beach, If looking to be a crew member and not a charter experience....PM me.

#21 ·
I have learned to just laugh at this one. My friends are awesome people and most are pretty good fishermen (women). However, there are 3 that go out with me (not always together) that I try to "remind" of a couple things. Keep in mind, these people know this already. One guy fishes a gotcha with a slow retreive and moderate rod action. When I say "hey try this," I get the "I know how to fish!" All 3 of these people try to "set" a circle hook. The first guy again gets defensive. The other two live in denial. I finally learned to just chuckle at it. I spearfish, so I can shoot what I want. If they choose to lose fish, it doesn't bother me anymore.

#22 ·
- Bailing on washdown and cleanup
- Having to be asked to pay their share of the fuel bill
- Being LATE to the ramp
- Acting like there's a steward on board
- And the "I'm sorry about that" with no offer to make right after losing one of my rods or breaking something on the boat

OH YEAH - acting like an ass and pissing off everyone else on the boat

#26 ·
Complaints

I only have two
1 bitch about the price of gas like I have control of it.
2. Complain about where what or how we are fishing.

If you want to complain about the way I fish fine you buy a 100,000 rig and maintain it and supply it and I will come fish with you otherwise I may make the decisions cause I make the payments

#27 · (Edited)
- The problem I have is folks bringing too much stuff (with 4 or 5 on a 25 foot center console - they all can not bring 3 or 4 rods, there own drink cooler, a duffle bag with 50 lb of tackle .... Please just rain gear and your own pliers/dikes would be nice.

- Doing things that I ask them not too, and reply " well that's how we do it on my boat"
(then do it on your boat! ) - example - throw the drink empties back into the cooler.. I just about got that habit broken (you know who you are :) )

- Not making the rods up right between spots, and having a jig or lead smack the rod or reel when we move.

- Reeling up a flyline to where there is only one foot of line or so out of the tip - try swinging in a snapper that way

- My number one, laying a rod (particularity one of my rods) down on the deck or across the boat (rather than in a rod holder or the seat or rod racks (I got 20 places to put rods geeze ) - where it is likely to get stepped on and leaned into and broken. This one is full of repeat offenders - I hate it - after a few dozen time I wind up going all "capt Bigh on em" ... :)

Kids get a pass - for the trip any way :)

And now washing the boat - they never get an invite back

The standing joke with a long time buddy was what one new guy said after being surprised when he found out he was obligated to help wash the boat off:
"hey, I think some of this was here before"

There - I feel better - you-all "who know who you are" are still welcome , dang I am getting mellow in my old age :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.