Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

40 hp Mercury elpto problem-need recommendation

2K views 13 replies 5 participants last post by  Mac1528 
#1 ·
My 2005 3 cylinder Mercury 2 stroke lost power suddenly last week while pulling away from the dock. The boat dropped off plane and now only putts along at slow trolling speed. All cylinders have good compression. All cylinders gave spark. Fuel pump is jumping fuel. It seems to be running on only one or two cylinders. When running if I take the wire off of the top or bottom spark plug there is no change. If I take the wire off of the center plug, the motor dies. Any suggestions on how to fix it or who I should take it to are most appreciated.
Dennis

#2 ·
Got to be something simple, what it is I don't know, that's a great motor, I got a '04 40 Merc that has been run year run since new and gets used and abused heavily, on my 3rd foot now, (logs, stumps), never had carbs gone through or a wrench put on power head, good luck with yours.

#5 ·
Try partially choking the top or bottom carbs by placing fingers across the openings. At least this will tell you if it is a carb problem. Plus disconnect the fuel lines to carbs and see if you have good flow thru all.
I'd try the fuel line first.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.