Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

Best handheld GPS

3K views 22 replies 20 participants last post by  kendive 
#1 ·
I'm looking at a backup to my hard-wired GPS as a backup and to carry on buddy boats. Anyone have a good experience with any certain models?

#2 ·
I'm sure you'll hear from lots of folks and there are a lot of options out there, but I am a firm believe in the Garmin products. I have a Garmin 176C that I purchased over 10 years ago that I still use for navigation and back up to my mounted unit. One night when the fog rolled in really bad I was able to navigate home from the GOM by plotting my course from marker to marker with little to no visibility. Can't go wrong with Garmin GPS IMO.

#9 ·
FYI: I paid $350 for mine years ago.. So I already told you the deal.

comparing my 76CX to a regular 76. I did this with joel aka Murphery's Law.

The 76CX is Color the standard 76 is Black & White. In the CX the batteries lasted a Hell of a lot longer.

Oh....And you get what you pay for.....Think Garmin!

#7 ·
Garmin

#11 ·
I have an old Magellan but it's out of service, at end of life.
Maybe I can revive it

#13 · (Edited)
I have the 60cx and it is awsome. I bought it when the Tom Toms and others were 500+, and installed the street maps. I used it for Nav, hunting and fishing till the other prices came down. Now I use my phone for travel. I still use it for Hunting and fishing. It has an expandable micro sd, and 2g will hold the whole north america map. There was several dollars difference in the 60CX and the 60CSX, and the only difference I could find was a built in altimeter on the csx. I have had this thing for a long time, and took it with me on hunting trip out west. Turned it on on the plane, and the altitude showed 36000, obviously not using the terain maps. My point is dont spend the extra for the csx when the cx will do it anyway. Just my .02.

#14 ·
I have the garmin e-trex that I paid $75 for at wal mart. I use it for kayak fishing, kayak diving, and boat fishing/kayaking when on other's boat. Just yesterday, we used it and we got caught in a storm and I forgot about it. Came back to see it in about an inch deep puddle of water. Turned it on, still works fine!!

#18 ·
E-trex

I have the garmin e-trex that I paid $75 for at wal mart. I use it for kayak fishing, kayak diving, and boat fishing/kayaking when on other's boat. Just yesterday, we used it and we got caught in a storm and I forgot about it. Came back to see it in about an inch deep puddle of water. Turned it on, still works fine!!
Been useing them since they came out(99.00) at Acadamy.Also for finding stands in the woods.

#17 · (Edited)
Magellan will always be the "Red Headed Step Child" of the GPS industry.

e-trex will work , but it's really designed for land use.

I have the map chip in mine to get higher detail. As you can see Bouy's and soundings just like a well equiped larger unit. You will not get that detail without the chip. But it may be there in the 60X model.....I'm not sure. Someone that owns a 60X will have to confirm.

I also have the mounting bracket on both boats....It's a PITA to hold it all day. I have the cig. power cord also.

#19 ·
I use a Garmin Etrex for back up/ditch bag, just wondering if there is an internal battery to replace? Just replaced the two AA batteries and nothing is happening any more, any idea...? Thanks for the input.

#21 ·
I have a Garmin 76CX and 2 of the regular GPSMAP76 units. I kept one as a back up for the other, until I just got the CX. Both are easy to use. With the CX, you can upload information from the computer A LOT easier. I will be selling one of the regular GPSMAP76 if you are interested. $75.00 shipped with the orig box and paperwork.

Stephen

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.