Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

Mingo Snapper

19K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  jjam 
#1 ·
Where is the best spot for Mingo snapper? What do you do there (drop,troll,etc.) and what bait, lures, or jigs do you use? I am trying to learn. Help is greatly appreciated.

:)

#2 ·
An area of natural bottom called the edge. 150 ft of water to 300 ft + of water. Mark some structure with your sounder, make a two drop rig using 40 or 50 lb. mono or flouro with small circle hooks, and a 12 ounce (more or less depending on current) bank weight. Use small pieces of squid as bait. It's really that simple!

#8 ·
All of the mingos I have caught have been deeper than 150 ft, but you never know. I saw one diving in 30 ft. of water once. I imagine you will be covered up with red snapper at the I10 bubble, but the same rig I talked about for the mingos works great for triggerfish too. You should be able to find some triggers at the rubble fishing like that.

#12 ·
Went out yesterday 16 miles from the pass in 75ft and caught 15 mongos, 6 monster RS and a few Aj's that were a lil short in 2hrs.
Not nearly the bite you will find at the edge but not bad for a short run/outing.

I down sized to 25lb flouro carbon from 60lbs and the bite picked up considerably with OWNER 3.0 circle hooks tipped with squid.

Hope this helps.

Good luck and happy hunting!

Jimmy

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.