Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

No shark fishing from Walton County beaches

5K views 16 replies 13 participants last post by  FishWalton 
#1 ·
New Walton County ordinance over here, 2/7/17, on beach use. I have never heard of much shark fishing on the beach, but this rule seems to prohibit doing so now.

Attachments

See less See more
#7 ·
Yep, you're correct... I need to take my own advice.

#5 ·
Due to the 'or' I read it as you can't fish for sharks even with conventional tackle....rod/reel/hook, but I will check with county Legal Dept tomorrow for clarification. Will post what they say.

#12 · (Edited)
It ain't about the sharks, per se. It's about offending the sensibilities of certain lady & girly-man beachgoers.

Don't wanna scare the tourists, ya know. My guess is they are more offended by having to share their beach with the shark fishermen, than they are afraid of the sharks themselves.

Get ready surf-fishers of other species .... they'll be coming for you next. The beach is for tanning, reading books, and taking selfies ... not for local yahoos to come out to to catch stinky fish with stinky bait. Just kinda destroys the whole ambiance. You guys don't rent condos or buy souvenir air-brushed t-shirts anyway ... and you're taking up parking spaces for the real beachgoers.

Here's an idea .... let's ban picking up shells on the beach. Then there might actually be some.

#13 ·
Number 1 could also be read as fishing for anything while swimmers are present due to the hazard of possibly getting hooked.
I was pomp fishing late in the spring last year. People were swimming but I went a ways down the beach and I'll be darn if the swimmers didn't start drifting down there. One lady had the nerve to tell me that I was going to hurt somebody fishing while people were swimming.

#14 ·
Social media will be the death of hunting and fishing within a generation....mark my words.:(

You drag a big shark out on a public beach and within 30 minutes it's all over the internet. Someone on Facebook recognizes you, it becomes known where you work, where you live, who you hang out with....a week later you're in the HR director's office being told that, although you are a model employee, the company can't afford the negative image that your continued employment will bring.

Same goes for that trophy buck that you have hanging off your tailgate on Facebook, or that big bloody tuna that you're holding in your PFF avatar, or...oops :001_huh:

#17 ·
Response from county attorney

Here is a response from the Walton County Attorney's Office.

Dear Mr. Hilliard,
Louis forwarded your below email to me and asked that I respond. I apologize for not responding to you sooner, it’s been a very busy week. The Beach Activities Ordinance prohibits intentionally fishing for sharks, by any means, while on the beach or within 2500 feet of the shore. It also prohibits chumming or bloodbaiting while on the beach or within 2500 feet of the shore. See Section 22-54(c)(2). Just to be clear, this language is not new. It has been in the Beach Activities Ordinance since 2013 and I believe a version of this provision existed prior to 2013 in another section of the Code of Ordinances. If you have any additional questions, please do not hesitate to contact me at (850) 892-8110.

Sincerely,
Sidney Noyes
Assistant County Attorney

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.