Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

Best time of year to troll for spanish/kings out of a yak?

2K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  NolaRook 
#1 ·
On July the 4th of last summer I trolled with some cigar minnows in my hobie at Perdido Key and caught a few Spanishes. Had a blast & I've been itching to come back ever since! I live in New Orleans, so it's not a horrible trip for me, but definitely want to get a room for a night or two.

So, before I book a room I was hoping the friendly members of PFF could tell whether or not spanishes, kings & possibly other fish, are around and biting during other parts of the year besides the summer months? Would I do alright booking a trip for the spring or should I wait til summer again?

#2 · (Edited)
Any time after the water temp reaches above 70 degrees. May is an incredible month, a little cooler temps and plenty of bait and fish to follow.

#7 ·
I think what Chapman is referring to is the boat traffic for that particular weekend. Hard to see a yak out there sometimes with the normal waves and added boat wakes. Always be aware of boats coming towards you because they may not be aware of you.

#8 · (Edited)
Thanks for the responses everyone, very helpful! My buddies and I will be camping at Fort Pickens on the weekend of May 6th. I'm stoked!

Appreciate the heads up. I honestly did not see any boats anywhere near us when we were paddling around on the 4th last summer... besides that I've got a bright orange flag on my yak that will be flying in the air.

Any possibility of catching Cobia, Mahi, Wahoo or Tuna in a the "kayakable" distance in the Fort Pickens area? Or, should we expect to mostly be finding just Spanish & Kings? Is there a certain depth or distance from the beach I should be shooting for? Not sure if the channel off the point brings in some larger/deeper water fish or not...

I've got a hobie with mirage drive and depth finder/gps if that matters any.

If you guys come down to south Louisiana let me know and I'll give you some tips on where to find reds & specks!

Thanks for again everyone!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.